F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I'm paying maintenance which was agreed with my ex. Youngest

Customer Question

I'm paying maintenance which was agreed with my ex. Youngest was eighteen in July and I assumed I had finished paying maintenance but he is in college so hear I have to continue. I payed ex money owed but now she wants more. Do I have too or should I pay extra.
Ian Clegg
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Are you paying money via the Child Maintenance Service or Child Support Agency or as a result of a court order? Are you now continuing to pay the amount you were paying before? On what basis do she want more money?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I payed her money owed and will continue to. She is saying she has a lower paying job and is finding it hard. She remarried earlier year if that matters. All agreements were out of court.Cheers
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If any of the money you were paying was in respect of spousal maintenance, you should stop it now because that finishes on marriage.

Child maintenance continues whilst the resident parent is in receipt of Child Benefit and the child is under 16 or under 20 and in full-time non-advanced education. Here are the government notes.

https://www.gov.uk/when-child-maintenance-payments-stop

here is the government leaflet on the amount that you should be paying telling you how it’s worked out.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/325219/how-we-work-out-child-maintenance.pdf

child maintenance via the Child Maintenance Service or Child Support Agency is based upon your income, not her need.

Can I clarify anything for you? Please rate the service positive so that I get paid. We can still exchange emails. Best wishes. FES.