F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I am a beneficiary of my mother's family trust.Have I a

I am a beneficiary of my mother's family trust.Have I a legal right to see it.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

Surprising though it may seem, even beneficiaries have no right to see a will or a trust document although a will becomes a public document once it has been admitted to probate and you would be able to get a copy from the probate registry for a fee of £10.

If you believe that the executors/trustees are doing something that they shouldn’t, or not doing something which they showed, you would be able to apply to court for what is known as an order for pre-action disclosure to compel them to give you a copy. You are not entitled to a copy, just because you want one, there has to be a genuine concern that there is potential litigation even if ultimately, when you get the document, it transpires nothing is amiss.

Can I clarify anything for you? Please rate the service positive so that I get paid. We can still exchange emails. Best wishes. FES.