Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have been Renting from Romans for 5 years. My end of

I have been Renting from Romans for 5 years. My end of tenancy is up 29 Nov. I have told them verbally and by writing on 10 Oct i wont be renewing.
Romans have said they need 2 months notice and i have to stay there until 30 Dec as they cant except my notice until the end of month.
Is this correct?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, could you please just confirm that you have a fixed term Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement and this expires on 29th November? Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached the tenancy agreement. They are asking me to look at item 34.2.
I keep saying i am not giving notice, i am not renewing my tenancy agreement which runs out 29 Nov.

Hi Stephen and Kerry, the fixed term of your Tenancy expired on 29th November 2013, and therefore continues until either party serves Notice on the other that they want to end it (clause 34.2 is irrelevant as it is referring to the break clause in the fixed term which has now of course expired). I'm afraid you do therefore have to serve Notice if you want to leave on 29th November. However, the good news is that under law, the Tenant need only give 1 month's Notice - so- provided you give the Landlord notice before say 27th October, you will then be fine to vacate on 29th November (so, if you have indeed already done this, you should contact the Agents and tell them they are incorrect in their thinking). I hope this assists and sets out the legal position. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou so much.
I have just given them this answer and they have accepted my notice (making it seem like they are doing me a favour)
This has given me the opportunity to recieve quick sound advise.
Thankyou again.Steve and Kerry.

Thanks!

If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer, so I may get credited for my time.

All the Best!

Al

If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Al