Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

What rights do co-habiting partners have with regards to a

What rights do co-habiting partners have with regards ***** ***** property owned by their partner? I wish to reassure my partner that I have no claim on his house or property.
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Under English law, unless there is a formal agreement or deed of trust, or intention by the parties that any contribution made creates a share in a property, each party has no legal claim to the other's property. So if your partner has the property in his sole name if there is no agreement or intention between you, you will not be able to seek a claim and your cohabitation will not create a share of the property for you.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you