Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I bought carbon credits some years ago. The credits are

Customer Question

I bought carbon credits some years ago. The credits are worthless and the people who sold them are no longer contactable.
A UK firm of solicitors acted on behalf of the fraudsters and my money was paid into the solicitor firm's bank account.
Do I have any basis for claiming compensation from the firm of solicitors?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

How did you pay for the credits?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have already paid £26 and as yet have received nothing but this notification. Can you tell me how you can guarantee 100% satisfaction when you are not in possession of all the facts?

I asked how did you pay for the carbon credits. Once I know this I can give you an answer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What exactly do you wish to know? I already added this information in a supplementary msg Did you see this?

No you did not say. You said you have paid £26 but had not received an answer.

I know this. I have asked how you paid for carbon credits, not this question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There seems to be some crossed wires so here's the info again I bought credits from people who turned out to be fraudsters They nominated a firm of solicitors to act on their behalf This firm issued a contract and I paid my money to the solicitor's client account at their request. Do I have any basis for claiming against the firm of solicitors?

Did the Solicitors know they were fraudsters?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As it's getting rather late may I ask when I may anticipate a response?

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for this I need to give the options you present some thought The total amount was for approximately £8k. Could I come back to you to discuss this further say tomorrow or at a date/time of your choosing?

Sure. But I am going to bed now.

Come back online when you are ready.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do pick up this conversation and when is it convenient for you?

Just come back and post here. If I am in Court I will respond soonest.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Firstly, I overlooked one question you asked last night - I do not know if the solicitor was aware that their client was a fraudster. If we were to proceed along the lines you suggest, may I ask the following: Is there a real prospect of success? What costs would be involved?

If they did know yes. If they didnt then it may not succeed.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was unable to access your response until I contacted Just Answer a short time ago. Hence the delay in my response.
I do not know if the solicitors knew that the whole thing was a fraud All I know is that the police investigated the case and contacted me for evidence One of the fraudsters was arrested but I was later informed that the case would not proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have you decided not to revert to me to consider this further?

I did see this, but you didnt ask me an additional question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the response. I am not sure whether it is wise to proceed as you indicated since I do not know what the solicitor knew when they accepted my money twice. All I know is what I have told you and unless I was reasonably sure of a successful outcome, I would be reluctant to commit myself to further expense that I really cannot afford. My circumstance is that I am retired on a moderate pension. If contesting this were to prove a failure, what would be my likely expenses?

If under £10,000 then the cost of issuing the claim Andy hearing it. If you go on the county court website you can see the fees there. You may also be entitled to fee remission.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for this. Do you mind if I get back to you on this when I have had an opportunity to look at the website you mention?

Sure.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have looked at the County Court fees and I note that there are two different fees for amounts between £5000 and £10000. One is for £455 and another for £410 if it is a "money claim". Can you tell me the difference? I don't know if it makes any difference but the two contracts I signed were issued by the solicitor and payment in both cases was made to the solicitor as agent for the carbon credit companies. The fact that a reputable solicitor was employed for this purpose and would "ensure" that everything was above board, made the deal far more attractive and convincing. I look forward to your reply. God bless.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

The £455 is for a paper claim and £410 is if you do it online.
I hope that helps

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. If I were to proceed, what other charges would I incur assuming I lost? Also, would I be liable for any costs in the event of success?

Save for an issue fee and hearing fee, no.