Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Arrived in U.K. In 1988. Married a britsh man in 1992 (

I am French. Arrived in U.K. In 1988. Married a britsh man in 1992 ( ceremony in France). I have never applied for residence card or British citizenship. I only have a French passport. I have worked continuously since 1988 till June 2016. I am currently looking for work. I thought I was all above board, but should I apply for citizenship?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can wait a couple of days. If you have not found the answer by Tuesday end of play please cancel my question and refund my fee.
Thank you for your efforts.
Best wishes.
Patricia
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear *****, you will need to apply for a Permanent Residence card and hold it for a period of one year, if you wish to obtain British citizenship. This is because as an EU national you need to be able to show you were "visa-free" for a period of one year before you make an application for UK citizenship. Accordingly, at this stage, you need to apply for your Permanent Residence card. Be aware that Uk citizenship is only necessary if you wish to remain in the UK after Brexit without the need to apply for a visa. Having UK citizenship will mean you will be able to live and work in the uK without a visa, after Brexit as it is likely that that the rules will change then.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Here is a link to the form you need to fill in to apply for a Permanent Residence card. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-document-certifying-permanent-residence-or-permanent-residence-card-form-eea-pr. Fill in this form and read the guidance and you will get yourself a Permanent Residence card which you must then hold for one year and then you can apply for UK citizenship.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so, your Expert will not receive payment for answering your question.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience