How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2724
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Am I entitled to 50 percent of the profit from the sale of

Resolved Question:

Am I entitled to 50 percent of the profit from the sale of our house? We got the mortgage in both our names with both our salaries included 18 months ago.. Since then I gave up full time work to look after my patents 4yr old son full time becoz his Mum died (the child's mum)....
Our relationship has failed so we are splitting up.. he will be moving away with his son and I will go back to my rented flat.. I am still in the house until it is sold to still care for Alfie and the usual house hold duties.. Say for instance we make 60,000 profit after all expenses, debts and the 20,000 deposit he put down... Am I entitaled to 50 percent? He is trying to offer me 10,000 and thinks that's fair but as I have punted out it's actually not his money to offer. being as we are joint owners... please help... Kira
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm:

-Are/were you married to each other?

-Are there any formal agreements or deeds of trust regarding the property?

-Have you seen the title deed and is it definitely in joint names?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No not married..
No trusts and yes in joint names!
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. As you are unmarried and there are no agreements or deeds of trust, you would be entitled to a share of the equity of the sale in accordance with how title is held - so if it is joint tenants you are entitled to 50% of the equity. The initial deposit is not automatically deducted and there must have been an intention that he be compensated for this - if there was no intention you would be entitled to 50% of the equity.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank u very much
This information I very helpful