Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have a very small patch of land on my property which

I have a very small patch of land on my property which appears to have been missed from the land registry and title deed yet it is claimed as belonging to my house and land. How do I register it?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

How long have you owned your property?

Is the land in question fenced in and forms part of your garden or the property?

Al

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have lived here since January this year. The land is part of our garden and the farm yardand is on our side of the boundary walls and fences

Thanks for your reply.

A party can make an application to the Land Registry for possessory title of land, if they can show that the property has had possession of the land for 10 years (if the land is registered) or 12 years (if the land is not registered) and that the land is enclosed within the property and no third party has any right of way over it.

Therefore, although you appear to have sufficient grounds to apply, you won't be able to do so until you have lived there for 10/12 years. However, if you can obtain a Declaration from the previous owner that this land has indeed formed part of the property for x years, this time period can be deducted from the 10/12 years you will have to wait.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Al

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your advice. I think the land is clearly part of the farm and it was a n omission from the first sale about 20 years ago when it was divided up in the most haphazard way. As the land is mainly a part of our very small garden. it would not benefit anyone else so I think I will approach Land Registry and see if they accept the explanation.