Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

My neighbour owns the panel fence that marks the boundary

My neighbour owns the wood panel fence that marks the boundary between our properties. I have a hedge on my side of the boundary that visually obscures the fence from our side. Our hedge was established before he erected his wood panel fence 9 years ago. We have always acknowledged our neighbours right to cut any overhanging branches. He is now claiming that our hedge has damaged his panel fence and wants us to pay for the damage - ie purchase replacement panels. To me 9 years seems quite a reasonable time to expect a panel fence to survive with little or no maintenance, and I fail to see why we should pay. However, while we do not have a friendly relationship, we have a neutral one and I don't particularly want to prejudice that. Is it reasonable to ask us to pay, or is he taking us for a ride?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is the cost please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It's a panel from a panel fence: cost is minimal and we probably wouldn't mind paying it if he were a good neighbour, or we knew he 'has the right'. He is not a good neighbour, but if he has the right to make us pay then we'll pay. If he has no such right then we don't want to set a precedent so that we pay for his fence panels every time he feels like tarting his fence up!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Ok. Well it is unreasonable and if the fence was put in after, the its their own fault.

They could have trimmed their side back enough to stop any issues happening.

So its their own fault, so no you do not have to pay the cost.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor