Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

A year ago, I purchased goods from a &M store worth approx.

A year ago, I purchased goods from a B&M store worth approx. £150. Delivery was arranged for the following week. On the day of delivery I received a phone call explaining that the courier had been involved in an accident and that his vehicle was now out of action. They promised to ring me again to rearrange delivery. A couple of months later, having hear nothing, I went into the store and was told that delivery services were still not up and running. I left the store being assured that I would be contacted as soon as they were. I put the matter out of my mind.
This week, having heard absolutely nothing, I thought to go into the store and ask for a refund. I am now informed that, because it was a year ago, they have no way of checking their stock or knowing whether these goods were delivered or not and refuse to make any refund or replacement. Do I have any recourse?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How did you pay for those goods please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I paid by visa debit card and kept the till receipts.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Jamie
I paid by visa debit card and kept the till receipts

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Jamie
Can I take it from your response that there is not a time limit on asking for a refund in these circumstances? This company are saying that it is reasonable for them to refuse my refund because the transaction happened a year ago.

6 years!

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you! Much appreciate your help.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!