propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

My neighbour has deliberately planted a tree to block our

My neighbour has deliberately planted a tree to block our lovely view over a field next door. She said she would do this if I built a conservatory overlooking her garden. To preserve her privacy and with her consent I had a 10' fence erected. She does not believe my conservatory is legal even though I had an architect to check it out. Even though I spent over £1000 on the fence, she still went ahead with her threat and planted a tree in the field to block our view. She is an elderly lady and says the field belongs to her, but none of the neighbours believe this. I have made inquiries with HM Land Registry who say that the land is not registered with them. How can I find out who owns the land and can I legally require her to remove the tree?
Thank you, Brian ********
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 9 months ago.

Hi Brian

Unfortunately this is not positive.

Firstly, if the land is unregistered there is no way to find out who owns it.

Secondly, if it is her land you cannot prevent her from planting a tree.

There are no rights to a view.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HM Land Registry suggested that the Library might be able to find out who the owner is. I thought you might have a better idea. It is not easy for me to get to the library and spend time there as my wife has dementia and needs my 24 hour attention.