Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

We had a quote for building works from builders that was

Customer Question

We had a quote for building works from builders that was used to draw up contract for a 20 week project. The build revealed some additional works which were quoted for and paid up to date. We afforded the builders an aditional 10 weeks to complete all works on top of the 20weeks. They went over the added time by a further 6weeks. When we insisted that all works be completed within a 8 week timeframe they decided they would re-quote us and delivered a 8week schedule for completion on the basis of a revised re quote that incurred a significant additional payment. Now they are insisting that works will not commence untill we agree to the demands of the aditional payments even though these works were covered in original quote and 85% of the original and aditional costs have been paid. What can we do?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We want the contract to be honoured and work completed to a good standard. Right now it feels like they are trying to extort money from us
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Did they quote or agree additional timescale and cost for the extra works?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They quoted for extra works that were uncovered due to the age of the building. These issues were resolved and payments made. Work slowed down for remainder of build which is when we requested that they give us a definitive deadline to finish works. They ended up requoting on works that were already quoted for and demanded further monies to complete project
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

So if you add the cost of the original quote to the extras, is that more than this latest quote?
If so, have they said why?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They have simply stated that since original quote there has been an increase in material prices and delays due to additional works have meant added labour hours. Original quote was for 107k agreed additional works was a further 45k. They then said materials and price increases meant a further 10k was required. When we asked for a final conpletetion date they requoted on original quote and said in total a further 47k was required to complete works. To date we have paid 138k. Works commenced 01/02/2016 and are still nowhere near complete
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Does the original contract allow them to change the price for materials and labour?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I dont believe so. Though i would need to look over it thoroughly. It has not been pointed out by them though
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

OK - well in that case they have to honour the contract. You should write and ask them to do so, as they gave a price.

You have paid for extra work etc. The contract does not allow for increase in price, so they need to stick to it.

If they refuse then you can get a Solicitor to write and say the same thing or say you will go to Court.

If they still refuse you can issue proceedings and seek a Court order making them carry out the work at the original price (plus the extras).

You would need to complete forms N1:

The court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether to Order them to do it. If the Court does and they could be in contempt of Court. They can be warned, fined or sent to prison.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.