Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Can people with profound intellectual/physical disabilities

Customer Question

Can people with profound intellectual/physical disabilities be moved out from their congregated setting/home, where they have been living for over 20, 30 & 40 years without their parent/relative/guardian's consent? The Irish health board would like all disabled persons to move according to the government initiative '2011 Time to Move on'. (Four people to a house)The place they are living now is not like an institution, more like an extended family setting, where they're safe and able to meet all on campus. Having access to hydro, physio, speech and occupational therapies on campus. Although two of the units people do have to share sleeping quarters. There are many acres of ground where it would be possible to build a couple more bungalows to suit these few residents.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it true in Uk and Norway they tried decongregation and then reversed this as it wasnt working out for the clients? would you be able to get me information on this so I may print it out if this is true? Also I would like an answer to my first question, thank you. Regards Donal & Maria O'Sullivan . If you have a landline phone number we can phone you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Doyle family have one daughter Mary Rose who joined the nuns, her father gave the house and large farm to the Franciscan Order. In 1968 the nuns setup a home for people with disabilities, St Mary of the Angels. In 2005 the nuns left St Mary of the Angels as they were moving on in years & there are no new nuns going into the order to look after the place. They handed it over to St John of Gods and the brothers took over. Since then it has been a different place, more like a business than a family from family home!...A government initiative is to get the 77 resident from this home out into the community in houses of 4 residents. Many of the parents are opposed to this idea as on campus they have all the therapies needed, including a school and they are safe!!!! Many of the residents are living there for over 20, 30 and 40 years it is there HOME, its not like an institution. You can see it here https://www.facebook.com/savesmota/
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a number we can chat on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0353894820954 is my number/ Maria
I have calls to landline very cheap if you like I will call you.
Yesterday we were at two meetings all day, concerning our issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie, would you be able to chat now as we're both on line ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You've gone off line looks like you never got my message? I trust we'll be able to connect soon?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

sorry I was in court, when would be good to call you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the early morning would be great as I have a very important meeting tomorrow evening and it would be good to have some answers to take to this....please!!!..... Even though the county council seem to be on our side the minister of health (like your MP) is still adamant to close the place. I hope you got time to have a look at the link I put into one of my questions? Please read my questions again. Thank you. Kind regards Maria
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phone now if you wil???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jamie, We're both on line please phone now or else give me your number and I will phone you please.if not early am please let me know thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0353894820954
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Jamie will we do that call now?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

For more information please see:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/national_government/standards_and_accountability/judicial_review_public_decisions.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. If there are any more links for us to investigate would you please send them on. Have a good day, kind regards Maria
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Thats the best one on how to carry out Judicial Review.