Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am in the process of purchasing a leasehold flat in a

Customer Question

I am in the process of purchasing a leasehold flat in a block which is been sold by recievers. The flat is on the Isle of Wight and the recievers who are solicitors gave an estimate of £700 per year for management fees. This figure is in line with fees for other similar properties on the Island. However they have now chosen to use a company based in London to manage the property and have provided a quote £1750 per year. If I now choose not to go ahead with the sale I will lose around £2400 in fees to date. The additional management fees work out at an extra £130000 over the lifetime of the lease. Have I got any rights under misrepresentation or mis selling laws
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have you exchanged yet please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No

You can pull out, as either party can at any time before contracts are exchanged. You may have a claim for misrepresentation.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.