12826847

I'm a tenant that moved in on Tuesday for a minimum 3 month

Customer Question

I'm a tenant that moved in on Tuesday for a minimum 3 month tenancy, there is an agreement in place. I have paid all 3 months rent up front and a deposit.
It turns out the owner is very unstable, bad temper swings and very abusive with language. She is very unreasonable and unpredictable.
She has said its not going to work and has demanded I leave the property immediately. Is she entitled to do this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No. She has to give you reasonable notice in writing.

If you are sharing amenities with her then you are a lodger rather than a tenant so she can give notice but it is no less than 14 days and, in truth, normally 28 and it must be in writing.

Can't just tell you to go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for not acknowledging your answer, the last days have been chaotic.Further to your reply, the owner actually effectively evicted me the following Sunday by changing the locks while I was out. They also kept my copy of the lodger agreement that proved I was there for 3 months and that I had paid 3 months rent in advance and a month deposit... all in CASH... £2,400.They refer to a clause that states I as the lodger must not be 'unreasonable' in anyway to the owner, and that they feel I have been unreasonable so they are entitled to evict me... without notice? There is no notice period stated so they feel they coukd evict me immediately.I have done nothing wrong and even if I had been unreasonable, can they just kick me out? Is a Lodger Agreement legal if it doesn't have any notice period or right of response?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

A lodger can be evicted fairly easily but they need to give proper notice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you link me to where I can find the statute/law that refers to the fact they are obliged to give me notice please.Also, they have now said they will not return my 3 months' advance rent until they have re-let the room. Is this allowed too? Where is their incentive to go and find another tenant?