LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.

15 years ago I reported my husband to the police for

Customer Question

15 years ago I reported my husband to the police for domestic violence, although they encouraged me to press charges I was fearful of the impact it would have on our 3 children. He was given a recorded cautioning. The children are now adults and I want to know if it is too late for him to be prosecuted.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 11 days ago.

Hello,I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

If you were caused ABH or GBH there is no time limit on a prosecution if there were no injuries then the time limit has long passed.

He was also given a caution. This is an alternative to charging and someone in a responsible position at the police made a decision (at least partly informed by your views at the time) that it was not in the public interest to prosecute him. On this basis he accepted a caution.

It will be impossible to resurrect this case and have him charged.

LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience: Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello J, would it be possible to take him to civil court?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry, the doorbell rang and I missed your call, can you call again please.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I haven't rated the service as I haven't finished, yet it says I've given a 5 star rating
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I still haven't had my £44 call. i want to be reimbursed
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 9 days ago.

I do not know what has happened with the phone call request. Will make enquiry with the site.

As far as a civil action iss concerned that is unikely. You will be out of time for bringing a claim (3 years time limit for pesonal injury actions, and & 6 years imit for most other types of action).