29905560

My friend is a nurse and she happened to enter blood glucose

My friend is a nurse and she happened to enter blood glucose reading of the patient without checking in a shelpless circumstance . 2 times she has really checked. The first one was a bit on the lower side but she did recheck immediately though patient has been fed 3 times. Between these two readings with the the second one being normal she has entered a reasonable value between these two readings. The nurse I charge checked the glucometer in the room and found no such values in the memory. Except those two readings. So she told him that the glucometer in her room Was malfunctioning and she tried the ones in the other rooms. The nurse in charge has checked the other 2 machines and obviously it wont be there too. Basically she Iis caught red handed and now been asked to write a statement. How can she make herself safe with no major harm? Thank you.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. When you say 'safe' do you mean that she intends to try and back out of this in some way or is she going to admit what she did?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
To say no without saying yes or no
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The doubt of dishonesty would be obvious wishout admitting it but that situation would be safer than reporting to the nursing and midwifery council and registration gets to a risky situation.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The statement she has to right is very crucial . The action would depend on the statement.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I meant the statement She has to write

The problem with these situations is that if she tries to find a way out and starts trying to bend the truth, try to deny responsibility or find excuses that do not necessarily exist, it could make things much worse for her.

If she was caught red handed as you say, the evidence is there and it is clear what she did, then there is no point in trying to get out of it. The best approach would be to admit her errors, apologise and express remorse for her actions and provide any mitigating factors which may explain why she acted in the way she did. I cannot make up these factors for her – she needs to consider whether anything provides her with a justification or a good reason to try and explain why she did this.

The more she tries to dig a hole for herself the more difficult it would be to get out of it. And sadly there is nothing that would guarantee this does not go any further because the employer will have a duty to report in many circumstances.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is planning to write that she had a very busy day with explanation why . So she copied the numbers from a paper which she wrote other blood results and if the numbers doesnt tally with the ones in the glucometers then she would have made the entry in error at a later time. Then will ask for apologies for not documenting it on time and would say she has learned the lesson and would be extra vigilant in future. Patient was conscious, coherent and well orientated but doesnt speak English. She did ask the nurse in charge to ask the patient but he didn't want to. Patient is private and she would obviously wont remember which nurseand how many times the augar has been checked. The aanswer would be yes she has checked the number of times she has documented or she cant remember. My friend also would write that she clearly recall 2 values but not the others. Between the lowest value and the laat checked value, patient was fed 3 times and there was no signs and symptoms of low sugar. Patient was very active anf interactive throughout.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Always have to treat the patient and not the numbers.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Patient has been safe and no incidents.though there was a low reading patient has been fed immediately and the food chart has been maintained. Patient did not have any symptoms.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I my friend would like to write that she cant recall that the glucometer from which she has used and the numbers might be wrong as she has copied it from from a paper where she had so many other results written up as well. Please help. Thank you.

Ok I cannot tell you what she should write – this needs to be a statement in her own words so you would not get a lawyer to tell her what she needs to write. What you have written all sounds fine as long as it is what actually happened. I cannot advocate that she writes untrue things or things that did not take place so as long as this is what she believes happened then she can indeed write this in her statement. As mentioned there is nothing that would guarantee this does not go any further – this is a decision the employer takes and it does not only depend on her statement – they will take statements from others who were involved on that day and what they say will have a big influence too, so she cannot influence these statements and what happens next.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand that. Do you think it is a good idea to mention to talk to the patient? They have already asked the nurse who worked next door and she told him that may be my friend has taken the glucometer from her room when she was on her break.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They seem to hesistate to talk to the patient apparently.

I do not see any issues with mentioning talking to the patient.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What do you think about the other nurse's statement?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They should have talked to the patient the same day which they didnt.

I cannot comment on the other nurse's statement - just as your friend has the right to say whatever she believes happened, so does the other nurse. If she genuinely believes that this is what happened she can say it - but in the absence of any other evidence the employer should be careful about how much they rely on it. As to talking to the patient, nothing in law says that they should have been talked to that same day - ideally yes but legally, not required

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do you have any suggestion for my friend if she was your client?

If she is the one who has been in the wrong, then try not to hide that fact and put the blame on someone else - best to come forward and admit any errors, offering remorse and apologising, perhaps requesting extra training if necessary to show a willingness to improve.

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks

you are most welcome, all the best