Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am interested in the legal responsibility of trustees

Customer Question

I am interested in the legal responsibility of trustees and/or other officials of a sports club for the safety of members while on a private hire bus on official club business
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I am not seeking paid advise
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To Give you a bit more detail:Team bus returning from a rugby match - all have had a belly full of beer - 6 team members are being "initiated", which involved drinking, getting naked and running the length of the bus while the rest of the team push/kick/slap etc and generally make it hard for them - unsurprisingly on of them is accidentally hurt (not seriously) - on the bus in addition to the team are the club president, vice president and head coach (all trustees of the club) - I want to understand the legal responsibility of the trustees (on and off the bus) for the safety of the team on the coach, which was hired by the club for the trip.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
I assume the club didnt force people to have beer? They chose to drink it themselves?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Don't really want to pay any more,m thank you.No, the "club" didn't force anyone to drink - but neither did they make any effort to keep a lid on the situation as it became increasingly out of hand

Was it the drunk people involved, or someone who had not had Anything to drink who was injured?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was one of the drunk people. However, what I'm keen to understand is the legal responsibilities of the club trustees in a more general sense to ensure the safety of members and what their duty of care is.

Well they are not responsible for people getting drunk. People are over 18 so they should be responsible for their own actions.

They are not responsible for being a chaperone for people who are adults. They can't stop them from drinking or tell them what to do.

Their duty of care is to only take as such reasonable steps as are required. Nothing more.

They could ban alcohol. But they can't tell adults what to do or stop them drinking. The adults took should be responsible for their own actions.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?