12826847

I am a 50% shareholder and director of a UK Limited company.

Customer Question

Over the years we have developed some software. Around 20% of the code has been outsourced and paid for by the company, however the rest has been coded and developed by myself.
I have never been remunerated for the development work I have done and have only received a directors wage and dividends from the company. There is also no contract in place for the development work I have done. The development work also mainly took place on Computer Hardware that I bought personally.
Where do I stand on using the code I have written elsewhere and who owns the copyright?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this,.

What is it you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie,I will shortly be resigning from the company. I wish to know who legally owns the code that I wrote and if I am entitled to a payout if the company decides to keep the code or if I am able to use my code elsewhere.Kind Regards,Danny
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Did you do it for the benefit of the company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was for the company to sell but I was never paid for the development work.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a Director/Shareholder agreement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there's no agreement apart from the Memorandum and Articles of Association.Also, if we had employed a full time developer or I had taken a developers wage, then the company would have gone bust a few years ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

What does the Memo and Articles say about who owns what etc?