Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

In 1967 at the age of 23 I married a Welshman and we lived

Customer Question

In 1967 at the age of 23 I married a Welshman and we lived together for a couple of years in South Wales. We later divorced and I returned to my native Sweden, where I have lived since then. My former husband died in 1980.
I was told that by marrying a British subject I would automatically receive dual citizenship. I have never had a British passport. Now at the age of 73 I have no wish to leave my native Sweden. I am just curious to know that what I was told in 1967 still holds.
Sincerely
Birgitta Brown
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello,I will wait as long as it takes to find a proper response.Sincerely,Birgitta
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.
No that isn't the case. You would had have to have applied for a spouse visa and could after a period apply for indefinite leave to remain. There is no automatic right of dual citizenship by marriage. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You have not looked into this properly. You will have to refer to judicial paragraphs valid at the time. This happened 50 years ago. I was married to a Welshman in 1967, in the Church of England.I still have the marriage certificate. I emigrated to Britain. I did not have to apply to remain in Britain. And I never applied to remain. Also at the time I looked for a job without difficulty. My husband and I split up after a couple of years. I went back to my native Sweden. My former husband died.
From Britain I received a periodical Living Abroad for a couple of years.So I will not leave a positive rating.Birgitta Brown
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

Please note that my answer to your question was correct. Your situation is now irrelevant given the passage of time and your divorce. I'm sorry that you don't like my answer but your reference to "judicial paragraphs" and the church are really quite bizarre. I am opting out and am not inclined to engage in any further questions from you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
For the information of Just Answer. The solicitor JGM has given insufficient information and therefore provided extremely bad service.I will certainly not recommend your service to anybody.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello,I am OK with waiting some more. If possible, I am interested to know whether what was valid concerning dual citizenship in 1967 still is valid and if not, the basic facts for this change. And can dual citizenship cease? How? Why?Thanks in advance,Birgitta