29905560

My wife manages an after school kids club, the club is

my wife manages an after school kids club, the club is operated as non profit making and is run by a volunteer committee of parents.they employ 4 members of staff all of wich are part time 3 hours a day school days only.it looks like the club will have to shut down due to shotage of children . Does the committe have to pay redundancy to staff, and who is liable for these costs.there is only a few hundred pounds in the funds.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. How long have the staff each worked there for?

Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - How long have the staff each worked there for?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
About 10 years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. The organisation will be liable for paying redundancy to its redundant staff just as if they were employed by a ‘normal’ company. In the first instance, it is the organisation itself which will be responsible for paying these payments, from the funds or assets it has. If there is not enough to pay them from the remaining funds/assets then the trustees will only be personally liable if they had been guilty of wrongful trading, for example continued to trade when it was clear the organisation cannot avoid closing down or becoming insolvent. In other word, if through their negligence the organisation had closed down or incurred further debts, then they can be held personally liable for its debts. However, if the trustees had done nothing wrong and continued with the normal operation of the organisation and had not been negligent, then they would not be personally liable and the employees may have to consider trying to claim what is left from the government.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.