Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

What are the criteria the court use to accept or deny an

what are the criteria the court use to accept or deny an appeal in criminal matters. if !- the inadequacy of legal representation was the base, 2- if the information presented to the jury in the facts sheet are biased and number of facts and evidence were omitted 3- if an issue which is related to a witness statement were not put before the court. even though the witness does not wish to go to court.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am currently outside the uk and it is probably not easy to chat by phone even though i would like to.

Ok. Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
well, I was charged with sexual offence and about a week ago, I was wrongly covicted of the charge. the reason for the convict is my solictor and barrister did not represent the case properly. they did not understand the case completely. when they submitted the no-case-to-ansower they did not submitted in the way it shoudl be because of theier lack of understanding so instead of the case being dismissed it was not and it went before the jury who were not provided with all the relevant facts on the facts sheet which lead to a wrong conviction.

Have you complained to the Legal Ombudsman about this yet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will be doing so after I put through an appeal to be considered by the court
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
now, I am in the proccess of writing my appeal. it seems really strong however I do not know what the court is looking for to accept or deny an appeal as i mentioned in my question
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will send you what I have written so far in a sec
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Likely reason for the conviction:The likely reason is that. As I was a taxi driver at the time, I should have realised that the girl was behaving strangely by asking me to take her anywhere and exhibiting sexual desire by touching herself in my car. It is all in the in car audio Please see the in car audio conversation in the appendices. They considered her to have been in vulnerable position, and I should have realised that; and I took advantage of her. The prosecution said I was in full control. I am 41 she is 20, they played on that too. However the following details will make everything clearer.

You can't appeal on the basis you did not have your case presented now to want to.

It would only be allowed if a conviction was 'unsafe'.

This is defined as being two areas:

a) error or irregularity of procedure

b) lurking doubt

These fall into further sub categories of

a) Misdirection/Non-direction

b) Inconsistent verdicts

c) Wrongful admission or exclusion of evidence:

d) Defects in the Indictment

e) No case to go to the jury

g) Inadequacy of legal representation

If you can satisfy any one of these grounds then you may have a case. Therefore you need to focus on these areas.

For more information please see:

https://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/courts/court-of-appeal/criminal-division/cao-information-questions-answers.pdf

and:

http://www.onepaper.co.uk/Appeal%20against%20conviction.pdf

That second one is very detailed guidance which you can read.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Article 6 of the human right acts concerning a fair trial
• to have adequate time and facilities for the preparation of his defence;
• to defend himself in person or through legal assistance of his own choosing or, if he has not sufficient means to pay for legal assistance, to be given it free when the interests of justice so require;
• The right to have a similar play as the prosecution which again was not present. As it can be seen by reading all the rest of the document.This was not implemented in my case and I was prevented from choosing my defence team, I was not given an adequate time to prepare.
Reasons in brief
• The prosecution only provided the last piece of evidence very close to the trial almost two month after they were ordered by the court to do so.• Judge Everett refused to transfer solicitors forcing a solicitor to defend me even though they did not want to, the defendant was not given all the available options.• This lead to a defendant who never been in trouble before with no choice but to bow to pressure as the judge threaten to remind him in custody if he choose any other option apart from the only solicitor. This is in direct contradiction with article 6 above.• The above lead to an inadequate representation by the duty solicitors and her appointed barrister which were forced to act on my behalf despite the objections of both of us. This led to two major mistakes and one other important one which took present in court during the trial resulting from the lack of complete understanding of the case by the newly appointed solicitor and barrister due to the lack of time which was a major factor in the wrong conviction.• The judge only gave two days for an already unprepared solicitor despite the solicitor claim to the contrary. The inadequacy manifest itself in court and eventually I took the consequences while every-one else went home and most likely they did not lose sleep over my wrong conviction. (further details in the rest of the document).• The above is in direct contradiction with article 6 of the human rights act. In addition to the issue of the choice of defence an Adequate time was not given to the defendant to prepare the case. Whether the judge Everett in the mention hearing or the barrister thought the time given was adequate is irrelevant, both of which did not fully read and understood the case.Brief of the first major mistake:
Barrister line of argument in presenting the no-case-to-answer-for:1- The prosecution responsibility is to provide proof that Emily had not consented
2- Emily after hearing the audio had admitted she must have consented.
3- The case is unsafe to go before the jury then there is no-case-to answer-for.ResultThis argument left the question of Emily did not have the capacity to consent unanswered
Judge decided there is a case to answer for and using the barrister line of argument the judge is correct.The line of argument should have been used if the barrister had the complete understanding1- The prosecution responsibility is to provide a proof for both parts of the charges ( 1-Emily did not consent and 2- the defendant was aware Emily did not consent).
2- Emily had admitted after hearing the audio that she must have consented
3- In the event that Emily did not have the capacity to consent meaning she had an amnesia (blackout) at the time. The defendant was unaware of that and the proof is:• Scientific fact: reported by an expert and backed by experts all around the world specialist in their field it is the toxicology forensic report.“Such amnesia does not mean that an individual would be incapacitated; it is known that individuals may be able to walk and talk whilst intoxicated, appearing to be reasonably coherent and yet subsequently they go on to experience little or no memory of events at that time”• Witnesses: Ann Diamond and Paige Meehan and myself. All of which reported that Emily was in control, all of which seen Emily directly before she got into the car only 10 minutes before she wanted to have sex.
o Ann left Emily at 8.30 stating Emily was by no means drunk.
o Paige Meehan stated that Emily was in control of herself immediately before getting into my car and only 8 minutes before Emily wanted to have sex.
o Myself who reported events in details in my interview at the police station at the time.Possible result. It is for the judge to decide, I could see a fair judge would dismiss the case as there is no-case-to-answer-for
Please to see a full description of the evidence and an analysis of the case which prove beyond reasonable doubt that Emily claim of rape can not be true is written in page 13.Brief description of the second mistake
The facts sheet only included information which support the prosecution case, it did not include the information which is highly relevant despite my relentless and continuous instruction to my barrister to include it at
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Brief description of the second mistake
The facts sheet only included information which support the prosecution case, it did not include the information which is highly relevant despite my relentless and continuous instruction to my barrister to include it at all cost even if she had to put it before the judge, I thought she did. I was flabbergasted to find out later on she did not. The jury did not have all the relevant information to make a decision. The important fact which should be added is written below:
“Amnesia as result of alcohol commonly called “blackouts” is typically associated with rapid alcohol consumption especially in situations where the amounts consumed are in excess of what the individual is used to. Such amnesia does not mean that an individual would be incapacitated; it is known that individuals may be able to walk and talk whilst intoxicated, appearing to be reasonably coherent and yet subsequently they go on to experience little or no memory of events at that time”.The issue should have been in the facts sheet too.Brief description of the third and some other mistakes:My barrister failed to mention that, Emily did not remember being in Liqure & co after only having two glasses of wine while remembering everything else, this cast doubt about the credibility of Emily story and whether she has actually had a blackout?.
This should have been in the facts sheet.
Many other facts should be added such as the lack of the defendant previous convictions, and other contradictions such as Emily decided to make a rape allegation even though she did not know as she claimed she did not remember; she had her alleged flashback the night after the allegation,
On the second count Emily had claimed she could not remember, however her estimated alcohol limit was only drink driving and surprisingly I was convicted on this count as well !!.All the above rendered the conviction unsafe in addition to the provided proof that the allegation can not be true; in the interest of justice I would like to ask for the conviction to be quashed. (Please see the section titled Proof the allegation can not be true page 13)Needed document and transcript:

Indeed. But the grounds of appeal are above, can you see that?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, now, the brief description I have written so far. does it seem logical, understandable, acceptable and does it need any modifications to make it stronger? does it need any unnecessary omissions? does it satisfy the criteria for inadequate representation?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have written more detailed one which shows timings of events and a detailed description. I am not sure would the court want that level of details?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
also could you clarify the indiement to me does the facts sheet presented to the jury is part of the indictment?

Yes it seems logical. At this stage its only grounds of appeal. You can submit further detailed reasons later.

The indictment is only the document itself, not the facts.
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks for looking at the first ground does it seem strong though?

I think it has merit - yes.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** ground of appeal contains fresh evidence in a statement teh accuser gave to a newspaper. does that qualify. I ll send it to you in a sec
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fresh Evidence
There is a new development: Emily had reported to the Daily Mail, her drink might have been spiked in a statement to a news paper
“She suspects that either her drink was spiked or she was drugged her with the heroin substitute methadone”The possibility of her being drugged by methadone is none existent due to scientific and other facts, the prosecution did not suggest that at all, obviously their decision is based on the evidence available to them at the time. These leaves only the possibility that her drink was spiked according to her.This is a completely new evidence which was not considered either by the prosecution or the defence. This will require proper analysis and investigation, to start with:
• why does Emily the accuser think her drink was spiked,
• why she admitted this possibility now not at the time or for the last year and a half?,
• what type of material her drink was spiked with?,
• what is its effect?.
• how did that occur?
• Was it really a spike or was it something else taken by choice but afraid of mentioning it?
• Final question would be the impact of all these answers on the whole case
And all sort of other questionsThis fresh evidence can be believable as Paige her best friend said in court during her cross examination that, they left their drink unattended. In Liquer & co and Emily reported no memories of being in Liquer & co.This evidence if investigated has the potential to clearly explain some of the unexplained and unanswered questions which can shed some light on what did really happen.The evidence could not have been admitted in the proceedings as Emily just now suggested this possibility and in the accusation world it is a women world (meaning whatever the girl says the prosecution and courts seem to believe, there are numerous cases which demonstrate this fact such as Ched Evans case. It is sad however this is the reality).If Emily drink was spiked, then subject to answering the questions above and some more I guess would show that Emily wanted to have sex as a result of a strong instigator, I was the man available to her and I am not bad looking either. It would show Emily was not mainly under the influence of alcohol (she did not appear drunk as per the evidence in the audio, relevant CCTVs image, no forensic to show any signs of being drunk) she was under something else. Therefore it can render the current conviction unsafeDuring the trial we had acquired new evidence from questioning Emily, Paige and the prosecution statement.
• Emily said she had a flash-back that was not on her interview,
• Paige Meehan said, they left their drink unattended in Liquer & co also
• The amount of drink quoted by the prosecution and the defence own report is larger than the actual amount by almost 25%.
• The defence report is based on false information and lack the relevant analysis.
• Emily stated that she does not remember being in Liqure & co. after only having two glasses of wine.The new evidence in the Daily mail in addition to all the ones reported above combined will have had a detrimental impact on the whole case. Rendering the current conviction unsafeIn addition, relevant evidence from the unused material were not requested, (inadequacy of my legal team) if these evidence were requested it would have had a significant impact in terms of proving some of what happen inside the house meaning affirming my story. As the prosecution described it as a fantasy. That’s in addition to the Police ANPR detection system.Problems in courtThe hearing loop in the court was working, I and a juror had this problem. As I was behind a barrier, I could not be aware of what it was going on all the time. I recognise one of the jury. I request for her to be replaced, request were denied, later on through the trial I recognised another juror who I believe we might had a discussion or disagreement regarding the price, it was the woman who sat in the front writing notes. I did not mention this as the trial was in midway. I am not sure what effect this could have on the jury decision as I do not know the contribution of these two ladies to the decision. However, the verdict was a majority verdict so two persons might make the difference.Finally: I was not present when the Judge gave direction and summing up. However looking at similar case, the case of Ched Evans, the directions given by the judge are:
You should take the fact that he is a person of previous good character in his favour.”
The judge said the jury must consider three questions when reaching their verdict:
1. Are you sure that when the defendant intentionally penetrated the vagina of the complainant she did not consent?
2. Are you sure the defendant did not genuinely believe that the complainant consented?
3. Are you sure that the defendant’s belief in the complainant’s consent was reasonable?
She told the jury to “take it step by step”.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If judge Landale gave the same directions then, the directions of the judge are appropriate, if not then it is inappropriate.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would love to have a detailed opinion if thats ok with you as it gives me assurances. thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi Jamie, will it be long to answer as I need to finishe all of it today as not much time left to be submitted. thanks for your responses :)

I have read your very long replies and considered them in detail.

Based on what you have said I am sure that given the detail provided, you have grounds for appeal.

But remember when submitting grounds they need to be brief and to the point.

You can make detailed written submissions before the appeal hearing and on that basis say everything you need to.

But on the basis of what you have provided me, I consider that your appeal has realistic prospects of success

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks Jamie. what I have written to you so far, does it seem concise enough? it is hard to get it any shorter though

I agree its hard to be shorter.

But in your grounds of appeal you need to keep it short, to the point and concise.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, now if I submitted my appeal by email to the court today, I ll have to wait until a judge review them for few months I guess. can I ask the court to reply to me by email. and can I put my girlfriend address on the form?, can I submit further details later on or is it best to wait until the appeal hearing? do I have to be present at the appeal hearing? if I decided to represent myself can I use that as a ground for requesting bail while they are deciding my appeal?

Usually you submit a paper appeal.

Guidance is contained here:

https://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/courts/court-of-appeal/criminal-division/proc_guide.pdf

You have to present a case yes. Or you can get someone to represent you.

You can try and use it is a ground for bail, but you are more likely not to have it granted because you have appealed.

Otherwise everyone would do the same

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry, there is one question which was not clear about, in the fresh evidence section, can a statement given newspaper by the accuser considered as new valid information and be used as fresh evidence?

In a newspaper, you can try. Its up to the Court whether they find that worthy.

In reality what you say to a newspaper is not under oath so you can say whatever you want.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
usually is a paper appeal, but is there any problem in submitting it by email, would it not be acceped this way?

Yes submit in email but make sure it has been received and its acceptable.

So check with the Court once its been sent.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok so would you thing the ground on inadequacy of representation is stronger than the fresh evidence one?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
also If i put my girlfriend address as my address as it is on my driving licence would that be adequate ?

I think you have grounds yes based on what you have said.

I would put ALL grounds in. You have nothing to lose

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks what do you think of the address issue?

I think that adds to it as well. Make sure you put all points so you have the very best chance.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a further ground of appeal, I wonder if this will be ok without an epert critisism? I ll put on her in a sec

Sure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ground 3 : An expert report was based on wrong information. Lack relevant and depth analysis.The defence forensic report is in-accurate.it is based on an incorrect information. There could be many reasons of the in-accuracy of the report including solicitors providing in-accurate, incomplete or wrong information. Please see my challenge to the report which was communicated to the solicitor and the barrister at the time more than once verbally and by email. See comments on the report in the appendices. This means an in-accurate information was provided to the court and the jury and accurate information was not provided both of which affected the trial negatively in my case. The forensic report is an important part of the case.
N.B. I had sent two emails to show my objection to the report and to be used. One when first was given to me and the other was during the trial in addition to a strong objections verbally more than once, however, it seems that, the barrister did not have time to read the first email and did not listen to any objection or instruction as she said ( she is running the case). The two emails are listed below:
Summary of Ground 3
the in-accurate report was used and shown to the prosecution and the judge. The judge said in answering the no-case-to-answer that the defence report said the capacity can only be decided by a jury. This was directly quoted from the report in question. Obviously there are other things were taken from the report such as the prosecution saying:‘this diminutive subject did experience anterograde amnesia, having probably consumed the equivalent of 2 bottles of wine’‘Alcoholic amnesia is principally of the Anterograde rather than the Retrograde type, and more likely in an alcoholic habitué than someone naïve to alcohol’.The first and the second inferences are a result of an analysis based on incorrect information therefore it is scientifically and practically invalid.Those were used by the prosecution and the judge indicating facts which only support the prosecution case from an in-accurate report, while facts from the same report which is only scientific facts based on research and quoted by a well know scientists in the field, this can only be true; it supports my case was not used and was not given to the jury despite my request to do so. Please see below:

“Such amnesia does not mean that an individual would be incapacitated; it is known that individuals may be able to walk and talk whilst intoxicated, appearing to be reasonably coherent and yet subsequently they go on to experience little or no memory of events at that time”This is again could be due to my unaware barrister, one might think that, the prosecution and my barrister might be collaborating. Obviously they are not, however the above and the way it was used make me confused as to determine what did really happen?. It is the most odd!First email expressing the problems with the report were sent as soon as it was received and a further smaller email was sent later. The second email is outlined below:For Ms Hammond consideration
“Bearing in mind all the above paragraphs, I consider it possible that this diminutive subject did experience anterograde amnesia, having probably consumed the equivalent of 2 bottles of wine, over 4 hour period, such that her blood alcohol level was about 157 mg%.
17. Moreover, given this BAC of 157 mg% and the evidence from both my own table and the table in the forensic toxicologist’s report, I consider that the subject would have experienced some loss of capacity to consent.
18. But given the subject’s likely tolerance to alcohol (given the alcohol dosing and the subject’s low BMI), the four-hour period of wine drinking, the element of uncertainty regarding the pharmacological effects in this specific subject of 157 mg% BAC, I am unable to be more precise than I have been in my paragraph 17 above.
The report based its calculation on 2 bottle of wine (1500 ml) drank by Emily in a period of 3.5 to 4.5 hours. This has produced a BAC of 157%.
This is inaccurate as if we were to take the scenario with the higher amount to drink which is Paige account. It can be realised that by a simple addition and by the estimation of Paige in the interview that Emily had only around 1000 (250 +250+ (third a bottle) 250+less than250 of the last bottle + a cocktail (cocktails in general have less effect due to the presence of caffeine in most types which cause an increase in alertness making the effect of alcohol far less prominent), in total according to Paige. just little under or equivalent to a bottle and a half. And this was for about 4.15 hours. According to Paige that was normal for Emily. Also the reported figure ignored that Emily drank lots and lots of water which should dilute the alcohol reducing its concentration.
Furthermore the report did not take into account the concentration of the alcohol used. This could be between 5% and 16%. Al
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also the report ignores that Emily is a social drinker (according to Paige Emily was a second year student and she normally drink far more on a night out) who has tolerance to alcohol. (This information was not available at the time the report was written) She is in the stage where BAC of 200 % is needed to possibly induce a blackout. More than that is needed to cause a 9 hours blackout. Therefore her size is less relevant as what important is the BAC concentration.
Number 7 states that, rapid rise in BAC Could result in loss of memory, especially on an empty stomach because the presence of food in the stomach slows the absorption of alcohol, nausea and vomiting are associated in rapid rise in BAC two things Emily did not experience at all (there were no physical or reported evidence of neither). (This information was not available at the time the report was written)
Based on those fats alone it can be concluded that, this report is incorrect. And its conclusion that Emily could have experienced Amnesia and lost some capacity to consent is in doubt.
To ascertain the truth. Either a new report will need to be commissioned with the relevant facts preferably by a different expert or it can be relied on researches already done by a well-known organisations and scientists which are readily available.
Or a comparison of Emily drinking habits in terms of amount and its effects on a night out with that of her drinking habits socially would shed some light on the truth. Paige evidence in court could be a key factor in drawing such comparison.”
Evidence needed
• The in-accurate Defence toxicology report.
• Criticism of the to report
• Only part of the report which serves the prosecution case was used and added to the facts sheet. The fact which support the truth were omitted from the facts sheet.
• Comparison with the facts sheet which was presented to the jury.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what do you think of this one?

Reading and considering.

I dont think its your strongest ground, but you may want to put it in too.

That way everything is thrown in

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** another short one too one sec i ll send it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ground 4
Some evidence might have been deliberately omitted by the police in addition to an incorrect information and exaggeration was presented to the jury, Omitted information in the indictment.
• The prosecution is quoting incorrect information in court such as mentioning two bottle of wine instead of one and a half, this is an increase of 25%. Could have an impact on the jury perception in addition to the normal exaggeration.• Also There could be a lack of disclosure as the front camera footage were missing at 9.30 to 9.50 pm. Police said there were no footage, however the camera seems to be recording all the other time casting doubt on the police claim.• In court when the prosecution displayed the CCTVs town camera, they tried to omit the last 30 seconds saying that what left is irrelevant. My barrister did not object, later on I realised she was not even aware indicating she has not seen the video before going to court. I realised that while I was in court; I had to mention it to my barrister who in due course requested it to be seen in full.My solicitor refuse to question the point even though I asked to do that more than once verbally and in writing.Summary of Ground 4
This can indicate a dishonest practices were used by the police and the prosecution, my barrister was not ready and not prepared caused misinformation being presented without objection adding to the reasons why a wrong conviction was given.
Evidence needed• There is missing 10 minutes of Emily walking in front of the car, if this were to be seen it would show Emily walking steady from a very close range.

Thanks. You could add this too. But lack of disclosure you would need some evidence of that.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not have evidence of that, but can I ask the police ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
as it is a logical suggestion, they can say we did not see any image

You can. But you may not need that yet.

Again, its a point of appeal, but not the strongest you have.
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sure thanks Jamie, I have another two short ones which I am not sure of thier relevance by the way thanks for your replies I know it is lenghty appeal. it is highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ground 6Contradictory and impossible facts such as:
• On the second count of rape I was found guilty. I would love to know how someone meaning the accuser which was left alone in the house which is unlocked who is on drink driving limit of 80 ml who claimed to have had non-consensual sex, could not remember that? Please how can that be possible!!
• The accuser admitted after hearing the audio and when was questioned that she must have consented. And I am able with the scientific evidence to prove that the accuser could not be unaware. I am able to present scientific research results etc… however for the purpose of courts acceptance I might need to instruct a detailed forensic report and provide the exact conditions and amounts of alcohol to an expert to produce the proper and correct analysis.• The accuser claimed, she was wearing an underpants, however she was not wearing any and the police could not find any.• The accuser claimed that she would normally not agree to sex without using condom, however in her best friends Paige statement, Paige stated that Emily once left in a house with someone she met for the first time and told everybody the next day they have had sex. Paige description indicate that it is likely they have not used condom.• The accuser claimed she had a blackout, she could not remember at all being in Liquer & co. she was in Liqure & co after only two glasses of wine. It is impossible to have blackout after drinking this modest amount. She remembers all the events after Liqure & co!! this must be a lie.• The accuser decided to make rape allegation and claimed she did not consent while she claimed she does not remember. She had the alleged flashback the night after.Summary of ground 6
This contradictions cast doubt on the accuser story and provide a proof she might not be telling the truth. I most likely be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accuser was not telling the truth at least not the whole truth. This is subject to instructing an accurate detailed forensic report.

Sure. But I ask you to kindly bear in mind you have paid a limited sum for me to review these for you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sure, I will pay little bit more though. I understand it is lenghty.

This one comes down to credibility - the jury with believe the witness or they do not.

Again, not your strongest point.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ground 5The accuser has contacted my ex-girlfriend two days after the incident an email to show what went on during the visit was sent from my ex-girlfriend to myself the content of which are in the appendices. These were not used neither my girlfriend was called nor the accuser was not questioned regarding this. The barrister did not want to despite my request to do so. She said that: this could cause problem. However I did not agree as I mentioned it will not do any harm to question the accuser. Please see the content of the email. My ex-girlfriend is now not interested in going to court. She was not mentioned at all in the hearing
I would like to question the police officer DC Melanie Taylor who was firstly in charge of the case before DC Helen Newman, she is the one who visited Jane.
Ex-girlfriend email:
To whom it may concern28/09/2015
This is in connection with the accusation of rape of Mr. S. Amari, my ex-boyfriend.Dear Sir/MadamI would like to explain and mention an incident which was playing in my mind for a long while now. Around the 17th , 18th of july, a Girl I have never seen in my life came and knocked on my door saying she was the accuser of my ex-boyfriend. She is short, black hair, I estimated her to be in her mid to late 20s. I let her in and listen to her.
She Started by saying that, my ex-boyfriend had sexually assaulted her in his taxi. I did ask what type of assault. She replied, he had sex with me against my will. I did ask for details of what had happened.
She said that: I was sitting in the back of the taxi and he asked me to come and sit in the front, we were both talking and he came on to me. And we had sex in his taxi. After that, she felt so upset and got out of the taxi and walked and she even forgot to get her bag.
I said to her, to be honest, I do not believe for one minute that he is capable of doing what you are accusing him of. She said yes he did and got upset. At this stage I did not want to hear or listen any more so I asked her to leave. She left.My comments and observation of her behaviour
She acted like she was believing what she was saying, however, from observing people who use emotions to their advantage. I have to say that in comparison, I did not feel she was sincere. Therefore I asked her to leave without hesitation. I felt she has a strong personality, far stronger than my own. I do not believe for one minute she would do something she did not want. My daughter is the same and I find it extremely hard to get her to do anything if she does not want to.I finished with him because he has cheated on me and truly we are not right for each other. But he is not the type of person to commit anything of this nature. I asked her to leave as I did not think she was telling the truth. However she did sound like she is believing what she is saying. I mentioned to her that, I do not want anything to do with it. I told the police the same in an email which was sent to them about three days before her visit; they were trying to put pressure on me to say false information. I also like to mention that. I had a visit from the same police officer who searched my house after I sent my email to the police requesting the correction of the statement which was taken under pressure. After a chat she asked me if I like to withdraw my latest statement. I kindly refused.I am an honest person and lived my life being honest and caring person. I could not sleep at night if I felt that by withholding information, someone might be treated unfairly. Therefore I decided to write explaining what happed and the matter will be left to the court. I still would not like anything to do with it but I feel I ought to provide what happened with me to serve justice.I would like to mention that, I have no sympathy for men who assault girls in any way or sense as my daughter has been assaulted and I am glad the police had followed the matter. The person concerned had justice served on him.Yours sincerely2 Canal Place• How did Emily obtain Jane address is unknown.
All of these taken place before any video or audio evidence took place. All of this was probably the efforts by DC Melanie Taylor to try to turn my ex-girlfriend against me.
Evidence needed
• Email from ***** *****, and cross-examination to DC Melanie Taylor and Emily Bradbury the accuser.

Yes again this is a ground. But you are bordering on the desperate.

I would keep the points short and concise.

But yes, I can see your logic.

Anything else?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
those are all the grounds but i have a final piece which might not be appropriate to put it as a ground i ll send it. by the way at the end of our dicussion please let me know how I am going to add some more money to your account. thanks

Sure. I think you have reasonable grounds having considered them all.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Proof beyond doubt that the Emily the accuser claim of rape can not be trueThe 99 call, the confusion and meeting mr Muir, this could show Emily did not know what happening which could be a sign of capacity were lost (Possibility 2). On the other hand, her unfriendliness towards me at this point and asking for a handbag could indicate she does now and does remember but unhappy with what happened (possibility 1).
In possibility 1 where Emily was regretting what happen. And her subsequent claim of rape to PC Hien even though she admitted she does not remember and does not know whether she consented or not at this point. Only the second day she claimed to have had a flashback of someone having sex with her, she could not describe this man or the correct lay out of the place. She described an airbed, and hanging off a mattress, someone pinning her, having se with her. Well my house has no airbed and there is no bed to hang off it. What was the flashback reliable enough to trigger a rape accusation? (The flashback was not mentioned in her interview with the police, only in court, wouldnt that be an inconsistency of her story?) Flashback according to experts are not a reliable source of information. Especially if the flashback is not accurately describing the situation in the house. In a lot of cases flashbacks can sometimes represent what a person wants to believe rather than what actually happen. I personally get similar things one of which was a farmer running after me in a farming type hammer wants to kill me. In reality this has never happened to me. I am sure other will have so many examples.
In possibilities 2 where Emily indeed did not remember and she has truly lost her capacity to consent. We need to look at the start. The In car audio clearly shows that Emily had consented even though by the admission of Emily herself which she listened to it in court. The audio shows Emily speaking normally, holding a conversation and eventually showing signs of wanting sex. The clear signs of wanting sex might be little bit strange behaviour. However people behaves in different ways and it is really hard to draw any conclusion to the state of the behaviour by a normal outside observer. It would seem that Emily was offering to have sex and it was my choice to accept or refuse. There were no reason to refuse. I was in control as the offer was made to me and I saw no concrete reason to say no especially, I have a problem with my girlfriend and we are in the finish stages ( the police was called twice ) so Emily could be a potential girl to see more than once. I had met a girlfriend while I was working as a taxi driver before and we lasted three years.
The town CCTVs showed Emily walking unsteady after leaving Dutton for a small stretch however, the following images before she gets into the car as she was walking down from Bridge street, Emily was walking normally and opened the heavy car door climbed the high car as it is described in my interview. Without seeing any signs of drunkenness (the images directly before Emily gets into the car are the most relevant as those what I could see).
Emily seemed to me a girl with familiar face chatty with me exhibiting signs of liking me in her own way, her way might seem to be strange but this is not a major factor as people behave in different ways and I would not normally criticise people. People do not like to be criticised. In my perspective at the time, this was a happy night where I met someone who we enjoyed sex together and I might see her again I made sure she was pleased sexually and bought her food and treated her well. (see audio conversation in appendices)
In short If indeed Emily lost her capacity or some of her capacity to consent for any reason, the evidence suggests she did not appear that way and I have no way of knowing that she did.Emily said she can-not remember.
To ascertain whether Emily is telling the truth a forensic report is needed, more detailed one than the police basic forensic report, this will need to be cross examined with Emily story, her friend Paige Meehan and Ann Diamond. Those are the two people who saw her directly before she get into my car and described her status meaning whether she was drunk or not and to what degree.
Emily story
Emily remember everything from 3 pm until around 8.30 apart from half an hour period where she went to Liguer & co in Chester where she had a cocktail. She want to this place after drinking two glasses of wine approximately 500 ml of alcohol. It seems like the memory of this place has been completely wiped out of Emily’s memory ( a bit odd ). Also Emily stated she had a sandwich and drank lots and lots of water from 3 pm to 5 pm. Emily did not have an underpants. She said she normally have one.
N.B. Emily claimed in court that she would normally use a condom if she was aware.
Paige Meehan Story
Paige is Emily best friend, Paige story is almost identical to Emily story apart from the missing
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Emily story
Paige Meehan Story
Paige is Emily best friend, Paige story is almost identical to Emily story apart from the missing half an hour in Liquer & co and the time from 8.30 to 9.30 where Paige left Emily. Paige stated that, Emily had around one and half bottle of white wine in total plus a cocktail from 5.00 Pm until 9.30 approximately 4.20 to 4.30 hours. Also Paige stated in court that they left their cocktails unattended in Liquer & co.
Paige stated that, Emily was in control of herself when she left her at 9.30at the cross where Emily walked to get the taxi which can be seen on the CCTVs.
Ann Diamond story
Ann is a teacher who chatted to Emily in Dettons for almost half an hour, Ann said, she has spoken to Emily and Paige and said Emily was chatty. She left Emily at around 8.30 and stated clearly Emily was not drunk by any means.
The police basic forensic report
It says there is no detection of alcohol in her blood however backdated calculation suggested that Emily was at 157% in the first count and 81% at the second count. Drink driving limit is 80%.
The report assumes the maximum amount possible for alcohol concentration as it is assumed all the alcohol was absorbed by the body.
It also states alcohol can affect people in different way even the same person differently at different times.
• Because the report deals with concentration of blood the size of the subject is irrelevant.
• Emily is a student and according to Paige she drinks normally more when they go on a night out indicating that she is tolerant to alcohol meaning not new to alcohol (tolerant drinker in contrast to naiieve drinker who is new to alcohol).
• The amount of alcohol concentration in Emily’s blood can-not cause a complete and lasting blackout-out according to research especially when it was only drink driving limit, it might cause fragmented blackout where some of the details are forgotten.
• Emily did not experience any vomiting (there is no evidence of any), slurred speech etc.. or any signs of what a drunk people normally experience
• The methadone in her body even though it is at such a low concentration and would not have any effect on the night in question, but it shows that Emily have had methadone in the last few days before the incident, its has to have been before the incident but not on the night in question due to its low concentration, this will mean that Emily does not always tell the truth.
• Emily medical background did not show any problem whatsoever which can affect her memory.
Result
The above facts would clearly cast doubt on Emily claim that she can-not remember. There are other factors which could show Emily have not told the truth such as ……….. Suggesting that I was Scandinavian?? This like the difference between black and white!!.
Emily stated that she was wearing underpants, in fact she was not wearing any and the police could not find any,
also Emily claimed she always wear condom before having sex while her best friend Paige stated that Emily was left alone with a new guy in a house and told everybody in the next day that they had sex. The way it was described seems that unlikely Emily had used a condom.Small possibility
On the other hand if Emily were to be given the benefit of the doubt and assume she had experience a real and lasting total blackout (Amnesia). The scientific facts which is present everywhere in addition to the defence in-accurate forensic report states clearly.“Amnesia as result of alcohol commonly called “blackouts” is typically associated with rapid alcohol consumption especially in situations where the amounts consumed are in excess of what the individual is used to. Such amnesia does not mean that an individual would be incapacitated; it is known that individuals may be able to walk and talk whilst intoxicated, appearing to be reasonably coherent and yet subsequently they go on to experience little or no memory of events at that time”.ResultEven with the small possibility, Emily had experience Amnesia, neither her best friend Paige or the teacher Ann or I realised that, indicating, I would not be aware this is consistent with the audio and the video.
This is in direct contradiction with the second part of the charge. Showing clearly I was unaware if Emily truly experienced an amnesia. This clearly shows the second part of the charge can not be proven by
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ResultEven with the small possibility, Emily had experience Amnesia, neither her best friend Paige or the teacher Ann or I realised that, indicating, I would not be aware this is consistent with the audio and the video.
This is in direct contradiction with the second part of the charge. Showing clearly I was unaware if Emily truly experienced an amnesia. This clearly shows the second part of the charge can not be proven by the prosecution and therefore the case should have been dismissed.
An accurate forensic report might not need to be commissioned, however if it is it will only strengthen my position. This is to be decided if the court accepts a re-trial.
N.B. It is scientifically not possible to have an amnesia after only 2 glass of wine. Emily seems to have had that when she did not remember at all being in Liqure & co!!.Events inside the houseAfter we shut the house door, there were no witnesses only Emily and I, as Emily claim she can not remember nothing, what I say must be the truth as I gave an accurate detailed description in my police interview and my stories and timing is highly consistent with the police ANPR detection system and my car audio and the outward camera.
In addition, some unused material if it were to be requested, it could prove parts of the story. These are the finger prints carpet forensics and toilet seats forensics, all of which the police had taken. However, my solicitor did not request it despite being asked to do so.
In addition Emily the accuser reported no injuries, during sex she was stimulated enough to ejaculate, her ejaculation should be present on the mattress which still in police possession.
Note that Emily was only at the drink driving limit before I got back to the house, the house was unlocked. Emily had the choice and the ability to leave the house at any time. She only decided to leave at 5.00 Am.
In the absence of any video or audio inside the house one must look at all the surrounding circumstances and evidence, this shows clearly that, what happen in the house must be in agreement and Emily must have been aware.
Disclosure officer comment:
“The Disclosure Officer is of the view that this would seem to confirm the Defendant’s assertion that he left the house around 11.23pm.”
This correspond with my interview at the police station stating that we have had sex on the stairs for a short time 10 -20 min, and we then went upstairs and had sex full of cuddles few positions including woman on top for about an hour.
“Disclosure Officer is of the view that the footage from SM/1 seems to confirm the Defendant left the house twice as per his account on interview”,Looking at all the above where all the possibilities were considered, one can see that, there is no way an allegation of Rape by Emily would be verified and the matter does not even need to go before a jury. As even If her incapacity was in question my unawareness of the presence of such incapacity is clear, Emily story and statements contradictions is a clear indication that Emily does not always tell the truth. This is an additional factor to be added to the undisputed other evidence.
A detailed accurate comprehensive toxicology forensic report simulate exactly the condition at the time could prove Emily is a liar.
Ground 2 Appendices:
In Car conversation:
I was finishing the shift and going home to have a rest and come back to work later in two hours or so.
In the in car audio, it says, take me anywhere. At this point having sex is not on my mind, a girl with familiar face to me. Might need to be able to give me direction. So she sat in the front and I said you can give me directions.
Then she said again, take me anywhere in Cheshire for the second time making sure I got her point she followed that with. I will look after you. I still not sure what she meant and I thought it could be she ll give me a better fare although the meaning of she likes me have crossed my mind now.
We kept talking, I was not paying a lot of attention as my priority was to drive through the busy streets in the races safely, my car is big and the streets are small and full of people (Chester races).
Part of the conversation was to me asking her if she likes to go to my house as it was not far. She said yes. After that, she started exhibiting sexual behaviour such touching herself etc… this come across as she is so eager (horny) and can not wait to get to the house. Then we get of the car and entered my house.
Comments: I can not see anything wrong with that, she seemed fine, chatty, not drunk and it is her choice as much as mine to do what we like. She was not in any way vulnerable (she was a girl with her own opinion and choice).Both of us had the choice. I had finished work anyway and was going home to rest. (There was no reason for me to say no). as far as I am concerned. I have done nothing wrong, if I knew women can do that to men, I would have never agreed, now I do.
I us
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I use to get women on their own in the car all the time, most taxi drivers do. They ask to go home and they all got home. Emily as I explained did not ask to go home. If she had asked to go home at any point I would have taken her home without hesitation. (There is no exploitation or any evidence of any whatsoever as the prosecution were suggesting).
I treated her well, bought her food and made sure she is ok while she was in the house.

Sure. Again I think this adds to your appeal.

But on the basis of the grounds you have shown me, you have a realistic prospect of success

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi again jamie, sorry my mobile internet gone for a short time
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the last lenthy one, is a prove beyond daught the accuser had consented and if she truely claimed she did not have the capacity to consent I proved that, I was not aware of that.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this is a factual statments and probably is not a ground of appeal, it is an argument in court for the case to be dismissed. is it better to leave it for now or shall i stick it in the grounds anyway? and if i were to stick it in the ground would it be better to be on its own. meaning on a seperate file or document?

Then if that is the case on that ground alone the appeal should be allowed.

I would stick that ground in too. Better in than out.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks Jamie, now you have read all the documents and the ground of appeals, as you know the single judge will be reading ground 1 first. I would like to put the strongest ground before him to read it first so which ground do you think is the strongest for me to put it first?

I would put them in the order you have presented here. It is quite logical. The judge will read all of them. So it does not need to be the strongest first.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, the ground before last the one which you described as it bordereing on desperation, the visit to my ex-girlfriend, is it better to not present this ground? as the ex do not want any part of involvement but i have the evidence of her saying the accuser had visited her etc... I do not want anything to cause problems for me in the re-trial if the appeal were to be accepted.

I would put it in as its better in than out.

So keep it in.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, thanks sounds logical, I am thinking not to put it in details, as keep room for maneoveour later on what do you think. meaning put it as a three lines of statements without showing the email evidence etc...

I would agree, concise and to the point.

Can I clairfy anything else for you today please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
jamie still have coupel of small questions if thats ok with you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have left to see my mum as she is ill before the sentencing. now I am sentenced but I still did not comeback from abroad. now if i were to come back next week will I be arrested as I am sentenced now?

Yes.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
they have sentenced me in my absence

Yes, I understand that.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, as I will be arrested, what the possibility of applying for bail and what grounds will they normally accept to grant bail, I have never broken my bail conditions only once to go and see my mum?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will, by the way would you require any more money at the end of this session?

It's a one off fee, but the fee you have paid is quite low compared to the work I am doing.

You can apply to bail when you come back to the uk

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, I agree you deserve more. as I am now abroad, I have no choice but to send my application by email and check that they have received it. what address need to put on the form can I put my girlfriend address? as most likely they put me in a cell pending my application for bail and appeal.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I agree it is low and I would prefer to pay more as you deserve more
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
probably I need to instruct a solicitor after submitting my appeal to follow it up?

yes you probably need a solicitor after submission.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks jamie, one last question, what is normally accepted as a ground for bail?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry you did not mention the addrss, would putting my girlfriend address on the NG form the appeal form be accepted by the court? as i am currently abroad?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can I ask for the appeal to be accelerated as I am wrongly convicted with evidence to support my arguments?

You can put your partners if you will be there.

Yes u can ask for it to be accelerated but it depends on the judges workload.

They will not grant bail, you have failed to surrender.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
well, I would not be there, but thats the address i have on my driving licence and i am not there at the moment but i would be there if they did not arrest me. would that be accepted?

That's the only uk address you have so use that,

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
failed to surrender due to my mum being ill do they expect me to be in prison while my mum might die and my conviction is wrong ?

That's not a defence to failing to surrender. But that is a New question as we are off topic.

Can I help with anything else today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
with regard to newspapers articles, do they have to present both sides of the arguments or can they write what they like?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I probably need to ask you another question regarding bail in the view I need to apply for bail and i need the best chance of being accepted. I had failed to surrender as I did not have a choice. my mum might die. but i was on my best behaviour in every other way and in every other times.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can i request you again to answer any other question?

Newspapers can write what they want, within reason.

You can ask for me again for your new question if you wish.

I am pleased to have been able to help you.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor