Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I currently have a fixed term tenancy running (ending July

I currently have a fixed term tenancy running (ending July 2018) with no break clause.
It's on mine and my wife name. We'll be divorcing soon and we'd need to terminate the tenancy agreement for obvious reasons. Is there anything I can do? Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Are either you or her planning to remain in the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thanks for getting back. No, neither of us will remain at the property.Regards,
Giacomo
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, as it is a fixed-terms tenancy with no break clause you are legally liable for the rent for the remainder of the term. However, given the breakdown of relationship you can propose to the landlord for an early break which you can do by agreement between both of you.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will try to contact the landlord in order to achieve an agreement. Regards, Giacomo
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

No worries, I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris