Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

A neighbour is occupying part of my land, and has done so

A neighbour is occupying part of my land, and has done so for many years, but has not registered with the Land Registry. Is it trespass on my part if I make use of this land?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His building on the land has damaged my property, and I need to access the area to repair the damage.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My neighbour has trespassed on my property over many years, and has paved over the area, causing rain to soak into my garage wall. The adverse possession has not been registered with the Land Registry. I wish to install a damp-proof course, which involves digging a trench in the disputed property, to repair the damage. Could the neighbour claim trespass if I did this?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

No.

You own the land and its registered in your name. Therefore even if neighbOur has access, you are and will always remain owner.

That only changes if the registered owner is changed.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?