Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I am an hotel owner and I want to sack a staff whose work

Customer Question

I am an hotel owner and I want to sack a staff whose work has gone down hill to the level it is imposible to justify her employment.
I have spoken to her on few occasions and it was on the last chat we had, I was told that she is 10 weeks pregnant .
I do feel for her but at the end of the day she is effecting the hotel.
How do I go about this and whith out breaking the law
Hash
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** i am happy to help you today.

You need to be very careful as it is illegal in the UK to dismiss a member of staff because she is pregnant. This does not mean that you cannot dismiss for poor performance but you need to be sure that you have sufficient evidence of this and follow a proper disciplinary process and give her the chance to improve. If you not follow a correct process she could claim unfair dismissal and sex discrimination. This could be very costly to your business (tens of thousands of pounds). It may therefore be safer not to do anything at this stage.

If you have any specific further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question please do take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.

Hello Hash is there anything further you would like to know?