13262538

We have a smallholding (farmhouse and 3 cottages), it is

We have a smallholding (farmhouse and 3 cottages), it is jointly owned. My ex and I split up 3 yrs ago - the property has been on the market for over 8 yrs without any sale or offers. Since we were unable to sell property we made verbal agreement that I would take over running the 3 small cottages and my ex would manage the farmhouse. It has been run as a business for the past 3 years. My ex recently moved back to the property in September with my 16 yr old son - he has booked the farmhouse out for 2 weeks over Christmas and I assume he has not changed it from business to residential use. There are a number of debts put on the property (in my ex's name). There is also a large county court order fine outstanding and it has been arranged that it would be paid on sale of property. In the last 2 weeks we have had 2 interested buyers for the property. My ex has decided he doesn't want to sell now and has removed smallholding from estate agents. What advice can you give me as I am very eager to sell the property.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Were you married?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Has he offered to buy you out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, he does not have the money to buy me out and has a few ccjs in his name. there is very little equity in property
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

In that case the way forward is to apply to the Court for an Order for the Sale of the Property using the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act

The details are here

http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media/2347003/land-disputes-a-guide-to-procedure.pdf

There is no doubt that the Order will be granted - and it is likely that you will be granted Conduct of the Sale

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clare for your help, hope court action won't be necessary- if needed though, from your experience , what is the timescale for an order to be granted and would it be feasible to do without solicitor representation. Thankyou
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

It will take between three and nine months on average

You can indeed do it yourself if you wish - the link sets out a guide!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clare, God bless
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Might I ask you to rate my answer as without that I get no credit for my time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure will do, thanks