Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I purchased an Amazon Echo on ebay. Here in France I could

I purchased an Amazon Echo on ebay. Here in France I could not get it registered. Contacted Amazon, they replied it was flagged "lost or stolen". The seller on ebay insists this is not true.
After further email exchanges with Amazon, it appears they do not contact or give me the contact details of the rightful owner, whom they must know to flag it.
Amazon therefore effectively blocks any further us of the gadget.
I can off course try to get a refund from the seller, which I will do, but this leaves some burning questions about Amazon's practices;
- By not divulging the real owner, they effectively protect the "finder/thief" of this product.
- They make it impossible for me to return the product to the rightful owner.
- I have no way to even check the truth of their statement, it may also just be a way of Amazon to prohibit second hand sales and increase their total sales. There seem to be many people with the same problem.
- Is it legal that they can deny at will, and unchecked, the service that makes a product work? After all, I paid in the conviction that I bought it legally.
How can I force Amazon to provide proof that the product really is lost/stolen, or what else can I do?
Many thanks,
Karl Sanders
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello Karl my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

I assume Amazon wont have personal knowledge whether or not it is stolen?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They just flagged it as lost OR stolen and refuse to register.

how did you pay for the goods?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Via credit card on ebay. The selleris French, but the item is from Amazon uk.

Have you contacted your credit card provider at all yet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No,but my main issue is with Amazon, are they allowed to deny me service without providing proof that the item is lost/stolen ?

Have you formally complained to Amazon? If so, what have they said?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
62;I trust you received my earlier reply and await your answer/advice,Karl Sanders
I understand you're upset and I regret that we haven't been able to address your concerns to your satisfaction.However, as earlier informed by my colleague that we cannot disclose the owner of the serial number you have provided (90F0071863620KRP). Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer any further assistance with this matter.You may want to contact one of the below advisory bodies regarding your concerns:Trading Standards – For more information, please visit the following website: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-stand...The Citizens Advice Bureau – For more information, please visit the following website: http://www.adviceguide.org.ukThe Retail Ombudsman – Please note, we are not a member of The Retail Ombudsman dispute resolution scheme. We believe our customers are better served when we discuss customer service issues directly with our customers. However, we welcome feedback from all consumer organisations, so that we can continually improve our customers’ experience. For more information, please visit the following website:http://www.theretailombudsman.org.ukThe Retail Ombudsman can be contacted by post, e-mail and telephone:The Retail Ombudsman33 Floor Euston Towers
*****
LondonNW1 3DP

Ok -you can apply to the Court for disclosure.

You would need to complete form N244:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n244-eng.pdf

There is also a Court fee to pay.

Then the Court will list it and decide whether or order Amazon provide disclosure of who it belonged to.

But Amazon are under no duty to check each one and as per the Data Protection Act, they are correct - they are not permitted to release details of the seller without permission.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.