13262538

As a baby i was put into care at some point my birth family

As a baby i was put into care at some point my birth family were told that id been adopted by foster parents this was not the case and i was dumped by the same foster parents some 8 years latter aged 15 . as a result my birth family have never contacted me and ive never met them or known who or where they are until a few months ago when i was contacted by a brother in Australia we are both in shock that we never knew about each other im now 47 years old and feel angry and robbed of all those years spent on my own thinking no family cares about me surely someones head should roll . I also think social services should have told me about my birth family they never did . Do i have a complaint worth pursuing
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

What enquiries did you make when you left care?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Clare none until 6 months ago after being contacted by a people tracing firm on behalf of my new found brother in oz
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Have you asked to see your file?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i made a subject access request which i have received however 90% of it has been redacted . It details when i was put into care and why there is precious little more information available to me
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

When did you get them and what justification was given for the Redaction?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
about 7 months ago reason given for redaction third party information as it turns out there were 3 other children also put into care 2 half siblings and a full brother the full brother was taken out of care after just 2 weeks by our dad and eventually taken to live in Australia .I was left in care and abandoned by both parents .I was told as a child aged around 7 that my parents had split up and all the children were put into care i have never known how many children or their relationship to me and until now have had no knowledge or contact with any of them
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Was there any evidence that anyone had been told that you were adopted?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no not in the file at the moment i only have a very strong suspicion a from memory and b from an email from my dads brother who also lives in oz at the moment dad isnt talking to me but if need be i should be able to confirm if this is what they were told and who by
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

I am so very sorry but unless it is clear from the file that this is what they were told then there is no action that you can take.

Thirty years ago it was not routine to share information with Children leaving care so the fact that you were not given any information was normal for the time (whatever my personal views might be on that)

If there is independent evidence that an enquiry was made and incorrect information given out then it is just a matter of their word and sadly in these circumstances that will not suffice

It is a wonderful thing that your brother has found you but saldy there is no action you can take regarding the failings of the past

Please ask if I can help in any other way

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks Clare you have been helpful regards Andy
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

I wish I could have done more

Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to have to ask but could you please rate my answer as without a positive rating I do not get paid for my time