How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3650
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I'm self employed working from home as a psychotherapist.

Customer Question

I'm self employed working from home as a psychotherapist. This year I have got my British citizenship, which cost £1085 and I would like to know if this fee is deductible from tax.
Could I use it as a professional fee?
My whole income is from my work.
Thanks in advance for getting back to me
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear, this is your visa fee payable to UKBA?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry this is not a visa, It's a British citizenship/naturalisation. I've got it this year and I've paid £1085.
My question is: can this fee be deductible from tax?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.


Its not a direct business expense, its to do with your personal circumstances.

Therefore you cant deduct it.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could you please tell me how much can be deducted?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

None. It has to be a direct business expense. Sadly it is not. It's nothing to do with your business.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
On a previous message you say: "Its not a direct business expense..Therefore you cant deduct it."
And then when I ask you how much can be deducted, you say: "None"
Could you explain please?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Ok - if it is not directly related to the business you can't deduct it.

Therefore anything related to the business can be deduced.

So no, you cant deduct any of the £1085

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice