Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am tenant living in Lambeth I have lived there for 7 years

I am tenant living in Lambeth I have lived there for 7 years I work full time ( shift work)
I have always paid my rent sometimes falling into arrears but always paying dues.
My girlfriend of 6 years had our child in August 2015 she has an amputated left arm and also has 2 boys aged 9years of age and the other 7 years when she gave birth I had to be at hand more, so I would spend a few nights at their address as I was concerned about her and the baby having good support.
In the last 3 months I did rent out 1 room to my girlfriends family members. The council are now in evicting me on the grounds of Subletting my flat.
My question is what can I do to stop this order?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have the council issued you a warning at lol?

@ at all? @

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They have issueD a notice to quit the property by the 14th of November
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have my 1 year old daughter with my present girlfriend and I have my 8 year old son who comes to me every weekend
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello are you receiving my messages

Sorry yes I was on the trial.

Just a notice to quit, no warning?

Why did you rent a room without asking permission?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I thought as I lived there for 7 years as a secure tenant that if I was renting the 1
Room just for couple of months it would be ok

But you never sought permission?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No

Then that is a problem. You should not have done this as it would be against your tenancy agreement. As such as you have breached the rules by subletting then the Council are entitled to seek possession.

All you can do at Court is seek a suspended possession order, suspended on the basis you comply with the terms.

You should get a Solicitor to represent you in Court.

I understand that you have a family, but a Judge will say you should have thought about that before you breached the tenancy agreement.

But if it was for a short space of time and they have now left, I would think the court would not order outright possession, but a suspended possession order.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand what you mean.
I made a mistake but I would like to seek a suspended possession order to try keep my flat..
The courts haven't sent me a date of when to appear at court just the date 14th November of when Lambeth want to seek possession

Yes. make sure you take a Solicitor.

Try and get a suspended order.

Can I help with anything else today?