Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

A Lender has a Legal Charge secured over land. Payment date

A Lender has a Legal Charge secured over land. Payment date has passed. Does the Lender have to enforce the security first before taking any othyer action such as bankruptcy proceedings?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much do you owe please? Is it a residential property or commercial?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163;150K is owed on a mixed commercial with flats being developed above. The payment date passed. Request made for payment then bankruptcy petition issued. Surely lender has to enforce security first before other steps such as bankruptcy

Then yes, they could take possession under Law of Property Act 1925.

They do NOT need a Court order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have issued a petition without taking the security. Are they allowed to do so rather than enforcing the security first and then other steps if a shortfall

Yes they can do this, I am sorry.

I am very sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is fine. I thought though that security needed realisation first. Thanks for your answer

Im really sorry its not better news. If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!