Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am looking for legal advice One of my previous friends

Customer Question

Hi I am looking for legal advice
One of my previous friends decided to borrow money off me, and hasn’t paid it back in over 2 years, he literally went ghost on me (disappeared of the face of the planet) I have recently located him and I have asked for my money back, I have little proof, however I do possess one facebook message in which he agrees he owes me £1000, I recently asked for it back and he said that he woud give it to me however I hold little hope, I have various eye witnesses that can agree on my story includeing my own parents.
What can I do
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Does he have any assets please?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I honestly don't know as i havent been in contact with him for over a year

Ok, you need to think whether he has any money. If not then there is no point going after him as you will pay Court fees and only end up with a Judgment on paper nothing more.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

You only need to serve at the last known address, that is what the rules require.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thanks for your help you have been a great aid in answering my question i'll bare this information in mind for future reference
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
also if i did decide to take this to court how much would the court fee cost

County Court fees listed here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fees-for-civil-and-family-courts/court-fees-for-the-high-court-county-court-and-family-court

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
hi cheers ***** ***** rates 5*'s also i have noted that the form it requires his address, this is something i dont know and i doubt he will just hand it over to me giving the circumstances how else can i go about it

No, dont worry.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
will courts be able to find him then and thanks for all your help

You need to give an address, the Court wont do this. But you can use the last residential address.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
as it has been a year since speaking to him he may of moved a few times would any address be suitable as long as he was a tenant there

Thats fine, its just the last known address you need.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
fantastic last ting before i dissapear on the N1 form the box at the top say's
In the (blank space)
and
fee account number what do i need to write into themalso with the little evidence i have what is the chances of winning my claim

Fee number blank and it would be: CCMC

County Court Money Claims Centre
PO Box 527
Salford
Greater Manchester
M5 0BY