Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

In 2001 my husband was sentenced to 14 years in prison we

In 2001 my husband was sentenced to 14 years in prison we had only been married 8 weeks it was in the national papers and I lost my job my husband told his brother to write me a cheque for £15.000 to cover my wages for a year I started divorce proceedings 2years ago now my husband and brother in law are claiming it was a loan and they want it back. Iv always paid my bills if it was a loan I would have paid it iv never given the brother in law a penny because it was given to me over 15years ago how can they claim it is a loan
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 11 months ago.

The legal presumption is that it was a gift.

If it was a loan where is the agreement, when were you supposed to repay it, what were the loan repayment instalments , what is the interest rate.

There is a complete absence of any evidence it was a loan.

Best wishes

Michael

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There was nothing written down like you have stated
If this went to court do I have to prove it wasn't a loan or do they have to prove it was

They have to prove it was!!

Michael