How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2945
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

We are 5 months into a 12 AST. The landlord is refusing to

Customer Question

We are 5 months into a 12 AST. The landlord is refusing to repair / replace items described when we took and signed for the tenancy, he has refused to reduce the rent or offer compensation. Other issues include:
1. problems with the heating and running water since the tenancy began in June, we have had in excess 10 visits from numerous heating engineers. The landlord is refusing expert advice to replace the system and as a result we are left with intermittent heating and running hot water.
2. The sanitary ware vanity unit in the ensuite has been in a state of disrepair for over 3 months so we are unable to store toiletries and leaving the cistern open
3. The landlord has refused to remove his possessions from the garage which is placing us in breach of the head lease of the development and caused us problems with the neighbours
We are at a stage where we now just want to leave the property, can you offer some suggestions?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We would like to dissolve tenancy asap, we have no faith in the landlord or agents and the apartment isn't up to the standard we are paying for. It has also place us in a difficult position with neighbours
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

You can only leave if it is a fundamental breach of contract, that is one which goes to the very heart of the contract or it destroys all trust and confidence.

If it does then you can move out without penalty and claim the deposit back.

But I have to warn you, the longer you stay there the harder it is to claim such a breach as the Landlord may say you know about the breach and have affirmed (agreed it).

Therefore if you are going to move you need to do it asap

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. We have repeatedly asked the landlord to fix / repair and remove items from the garage and have an email trail as evidence. We have continually challenged him.What do we need to do now?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

You need to move out this weekend and tell him you have gone

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice