Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

We are 5 months into a 12 AST. The landlord is refusing to

Customer Question

We are 5 months into a 12 AST. The landlord is refusing to repair / replace items described when we took and signed for the tenancy, he has refused to reduce the rent or offer compensation. Other issues include:
1. problems with the heating and running water since the tenancy began in June, we have had in excess 10 visits from numerous heating engineers. The landlord is refusing expert advice to replace the system and as a result we are left with intermittent heating and running hot water.
2. The sanitary ware vanity unit in the ensuite has been in a state of disrepair for over 3 months so we are unable to store toiletries and leaving the cistern open
3. The landlord has refused to remove his possessions from the garage which is placing us in breach of the head lease of the development and caused us problems with the neighbours
We are at a stage where we now just want to leave the property, can you offer some suggestions?
Submitted: 2 day ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 day ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
We would like to dissolve tenancy asap, we have no faith in the landlord or agents and the apartment isn't up to the standard we are paying for. It has also place us in a difficult position with neighbours
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 day ago.

You can only leave if it is a fundamental breach of contract, that is one which goes to the very heart of the contract or it destroys all trust and confidence.

If it does then you can move out without penalty and claim the deposit back.

But I have to warn you, the longer you stay there the harder it is to claim such a breach as the Landlord may say you know about the breach and have affirmed (agreed it).

Therefore if you are going to move you need to do it asap

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Thank you. We have repeatedly asked the landlord to fix / repair and remove items from the garage and have an email trail as evidence. We have continually challenged him.What do we need to do now?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 day ago.

You need to move out this weekend and tell him you have gone

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 day ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!