Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

My father bought the freehold to his property in 1986 but

Customer Question

my father bought the freehold to his property in 1986 but never registered it at the Land Registry. The lease was registered. he died a few months ago. He can prove the purchase by correspondence and there is a transfer signed by company A. Company A sold 45 freeholds on the estate to company B in 1995. Conpany B never demanded ground rent of £18 per annum from my father. The lease has only 49 years to run and we are being asked by company B to pay £70,000 for the freehold.
Is company B correct. They say they bought the freehold in good faith from company A and will not accept our transfer, correspondence and letter confirming receipt of cheque.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there any overriding interest to protect him. He was in occupation until his death. It was a detached bungalow rather than a flat
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will wait. Thank you
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where is my answer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If you do not respond by 6.00 pm tomorrow I want to cancel and receive a refund of my payment.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 11 months ago.

Company B cannot buy something which is already owned by someone else. Whether they acted in good faith or not is irrelevant.

If there is evidence that your father purchased the freehold the estate of your father owns the freehold the executor/administrator of the estate of your father should get the property transferred to them on behalf of the estate as a first registration of the land at the land registry.

A local conveyancing solicitor could do this for you at a modest cost.

Best regards

Michael