Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

What are the chances of police carrying on a investigation:

Customer Question

What are the chances of police carrying on a investigation:The person returned three items which were legitimately bought and unwanted to a reputable retailer for a refund. The products were brand new just unwanted. The value of the items totaled £2040, now the person who returned the items provided a altered email reciept, which the cashier just looked at and took it as confirmation the purchase was made from that retailer. Now two of those products have been resold, as the person was able to check the items were resold as they had been activated (Electrical Product)Now the second time the person tried to make the return, he went to two different stores who both denied as they could not find the original purchase on the system, few days later he went to another branch and they took it in with no quibbles.Now for this to be reported to the police and for it to be investigated what evidence would the retailer and police need to go forward?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you can cancel, I will repost with a better explanation
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi can you resubmit this question for answers please
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does the store know this was fraud please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not too sure, it is a well know retailer, they products which were returned have been resold (known as they are electronics)The first return done buy the person was fine but during the second return the person went to two stores both denied the return as they contacted the store listed on the ereceipt which confirmed no such purchase was made. Few days later the person went to another store which processed it fine.Third return it was exchanged for a different model and a partial refund was made.Products returned by the person were obtained legally but unwanted as the person needed money rather than the products more so they thought they'd return it to this retailer.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

If they don't know or there is no complaint to the police then you don't need to worry, nothing will happen.

It's only if the matter is reported to the police then will any action be taken.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well the person does not know if there has been contact with the police. That person once when into the store a month after the returns to purchase an item, the person noticed two of the advisors were speaking to each other while looking at the individual who returned the items before they served the individual.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Ok - well there is no time limit for fraud how long the Police have to investigate and charge.

You just need to keep your head down and I would not go back to that store,

Does that clarify?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.