Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My son age 18, works voluntarily as a sports coach at his

Customer Question

my son age 18, works voluntarily as a sports coach at his old public school, 16hrs a week. He has an expensive bike which he left under their school cctv camera, in the school car park. It was securely fastened with a heavy cable and lock. The bike was stolen three weeks ago, the cctv was not turned on. we informed the police and have a case nos. I approached the school bursar and asked if the school insurance would cover the cost of his loss. They replied today that their insurance will NOT cover this.
Do I have a case to take them to court for the replacement cost of his bike? or would I incur more costs if they win?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Cherry Christopher, I regret to say that your son doesn't have a case against the school for compensation for his bike. This is because the school were not bailees of the bike in law. Your son parked his bike at his own risk in the school car park. The school did not take his bike and agree to look after it. Instead, your son parked his bike at his own risk in the school car park. A school car park has no liability for vehicles or bikes parked there as owners park them there at their own risk

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. The school would have to have agreed to take charge of your son's bike in order for them to be held liable. Merely parking a bike on school property does not give rise to liability on the part of the school. It makes no difference that there might have been CCTV and it was not turned on. This does not give rise to liability on the part of the school. Accordingly, I would not advise your son to sue the school for the bike,as he is not going to win his case. Money will simply get thrown away in legal costs which will not be recouped by him.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so, your Expert will not receive payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your prompt response. You have saved me time and money with the advice given.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

4. Please Rate or Accept the answer as otherwise your Expert does not get paid by the website for answering your question.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

5. You are welcome for the answer. Best wishes.