Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have been a tenant in my property for the last nine years.

Customer Question

I have been a tenant in my property for the last nine years. My current 2 year tenancy agreement end on 15th Nov 2016. In September I received a verbal assurance from NHB who I understand act for the owner of the property that the tenancy would be renewed. I was informed of the details ie length of new agreement, rent payable etc. I subsequently received calls informing me that the new agreement was being drawn up. Last week I received an email informing me that the agreement was being dispatched. Yesterday I had a call from NHB to say that there had been a change of mind and that the tenancy would not be renewed as previously advised. I guess the question is whether the verbal assurances given to me by NHB constitute a binding contract. NHB do not dispute that such assurances were given. Can you assist?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

Hi Mike, thanks for your enquiry. I am afraid that as the new Tenancy Agreement has not yet been signed, there is no legally binding agreement between you and your Landlord. The oral assurances from the Agents means nothing in law, and likewise, you could have refused to sign the Tenancy had it been received by you. I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your advice. Does this case not constitute a verbal contract being made and if not, what does, as I understood that verbal contracts are seen as binding?

Hi, I'm afraid you don't have grounds to argue there was an oral binding agreement- they could have sent you the Agreement to sign, for example, and you would have had the right to refuse to sign it. Oral Tenancy agreements are only valid if the 2 parties (Landlord and Tenant) agree a letting, money is paid over by the Tenant and the keys handed over. In your case, no such agreement was made with the Landlord, merely correspondence with his Agents. I am sorry. Kind Regards Al

Hi, can I assist you any further? If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al