12826847

I was being harassed by a woman who's marriage ended. I was

Customer Question

I was being harassed by a woman who's marriage ended. I was involved with her husband at the time although I was not the cause of the marriage breakup. That was ten months ago. For months after she harassed me by txt ,on the drive of my house , driving up and down the road etc. I informed the police who said h had grounds for arrest but I chose to warn her that I'd gone to the police and would take further action if she continued. She stopped but she is spreading hateful gossip about me which hasn't stopped. Saying I have had affairs with various men who are known mutually , this is completely untrue and upsetting to me and my daughter as well as the family's of those she's saying I have slept with. One of whom is best friends husband who commuted suicide 18 months ago.
This is ongoing and now I can't step outside in our Local town because of the things that she is saying.
To complicate matters I have terminal cancer to which she is also spreading hateful things, wishing me a long painful death etc.
My main upset is the rumours that I harass her children and staying to anybody and everybody that I've had affairs all my married life and have slept with multiple men.
I also have txts that she sent me stating the men that I've slept with. Which I haven't for clarity.
Is there anything I cans do please ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has also sent txts to my husband stating that myself and my daughter have harassed and abused her daughter in the street.
I'm at my wits end. It's very distressing. For myself and my daughter
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

So, in short, there is no direct contact now but she is talking about you to others?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's correct , sort of. Mainly because I have moved away although I live in the same town still.
I was approached by her daughter in town a couple of weeks ago and myself and my daughter just continued walking. She then texted my husband saying that I and my daughter abused and harassed her daughter in the street. Other than this her slandering of my character is relentless. Most recently at our local shops. Naming men I have slept with , one of whom is my best friends deceased husband.
None of this is true and upsetting to my family and the other families that she is involving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She mentions me by name to people we both know
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

She is free to do that. That is just not harassment.

If she was encouraging those people to take action against you then that would be indirect harassment but she is allowed to gossip.

You could argue that it is defamation and get a solicitor to write to her but there are costs in that. It would not be covered by legal aid.

You could get a solicitor to write to her for about £100 plus VAT.

Can I clarify anything fro you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a fine line between malicious gossip and slander or defamation ?
And therefore she is free to spread lies about me , my daughter and other families causing much distress and without any come back ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, as I said really, you could argue that it is defamation and get a solicitor to write to her but there are costs in that. It would not be covered by legal aid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem.

All the best.