Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am currently in a dispute with the police over the way I

Customer Question

I am currently in a dispute with the police over the way I was arrested earlier this year due to a now proven false allegation.
I was arrested without a shred of evidence against me, handcuffed, paraded past my accuser and detained for nearly 5 hours.
After this event I spoke to a close friend about the incident. My friend is no lawyer but he is quite knowledgeable and he advised me that it was illegal for the police to deliberately walk me past the accuser. The police are arguing otherwise.
Are you able to clarify whether this was an illegal act on part of the police?
Thanks in advance
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Was it as a result of a complaint by the accuser please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was proven that the allegation was false and the police have attempted to serve him with a ticket for wasting police time which he has refused to accept.
The allegation was proven to be false due to video evidence proving I was nowhere near my accuser at the time of the alleged incident.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry I misread your question. Yes it was a result of a complaint by the accuser.

is it illegal to walk you past accuser - no. There is nothing in the police and criminal evidence act which prevents this.

However it may be if it came to trial and identification it would taint such a result and may be excluded as evidence.

If the complaint was as a result of someone calling the police or making an accusation that is enough,

The police just need reasonable suspicision and if someone has made a complaint that is enough to arrest and detain someone.

I am very sorry if this is not the answer you want and it's certainly not the one I want to give you. But I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No thanks Jamie. I just needed clarification on this matter so that I don't embarrass myself moving forward. Thank you for your help.Bruce

All the best Bruce.
If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.