13262538

Over 10 years ago my Dad bough5 my Great Aunts(Marie) house

Customer Question

Hello, over 10 years ago my Dad bough5 my Great Aunts(Marie) house and refurbished it for her. There was a contract in place that meant my Marie could carry on living there rent free. My Dad paid £10,000, paid off her mortgage and all refurb costs and the house was transferred into mine and my brothers name. My Dad died in 2010 and unfortunately, Marie died a few months ago. Her Granddaughter is saying my Dad never paid the money over to Marie and no one seems to have a copy of the contract. The solicitor we used no longer practices and all her files were taken over by the law society. I'm worried because as my name is ***** ***** land registry I'm responsible for council tax etc. I'd like to sell the property as would my brother but I don't want to incur any legal problems by doing so. What would you advise?
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare]I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

has the granddaughter files a Restriction at the Land Registry?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not sure. How would I find that out? The address of the house is 2 The Glade, Clifton, NG11 9EA.
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

You can check here

https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The restrictive covenants are all old ones. There has been nothing added to it from My Aunt's Granddaughter. I have a copy of the Title register I can pass on to you.
Ellen
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Whose name is ***** ***** Title Register?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's Ellen Ballam and Simon Ballam which is me and my brother.
Ellen
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Then there is nothing in the way of your selling the property - you can simply market it in the usual way

Please ask if you need further details