31090051

I made some teaching aids for my old university supervisor.

Customer Question

I made some teaching aids for my old university supervisor. One includes high voltage and I have done everything in my power to make them safe, even in the case of accident. However, since I was paid for the work I am worried what my liability is in the case of misuse or accident. I am not a professional electrician, I am an engineer and physicist, so I have an understanding of the principles but I'm not a professional electrician with experience in this kind of thing. I have also labeled the experiment with a clear guide on how to use it safely. I think it is unlikely that anything would go wrong but in that unlikely situation I want to know what I could be liable for? Thank you.
Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

You could be liable for the loss, injury or damage caused to any other person if there is an incident which arises from your negligence which would include making or doing something that you are not qualified for. It would not arise if the article was misused where you have given clear instructions for use. You should perhaps think about getting a disclaimer signed to cover that eventuality.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, do you mean a disclaimer covering the first half, covering the loss, injury or damage part? So I could ask for a disclaimer making it clear that I am not a qualified electrician and they are happy with me making it for them? Sorry I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Thanks
Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

The disclaimer would say that you are not responsible for any loss or injury or damage arising from misuse of the article or use outwith the given instructions. You can't contract out of liability for not being an electrician. To be safe with that you should get it signed off by an electrician.