12826847

If I report someone living in a Middle East country for an

Customer Question

If I report someone living in a Middle East country for an affair they had in the uk, is that an endangerment punishable under UK law?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

What are you going to report them for ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This person is in Saudi Arabia. I Am not going to report them but I have been looking on Saudi forums for her and she had to contact British embassy in case she had to leave. She had an affair with my husband
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She says she'd get put to death which I didn't realise as her and her husband are both British
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

There is no offence in having an affair in the UK.

The police won't take a report for that reason. It is a civil matter.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she says embassy is asking her who put the posts up as its endangerment
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

This would not be against the law in the UK. I don't understand what she means.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the embassy are saying (or so she says) that if I report her to Saudi authorities, they would punish her there even if the affair was here (they don't even need whiteness or proof), and therefore if I report her I'm endangering her life.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
witnesses not whiteness
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

Oh well, that might be right. Your original question was about UK law. It is not an offence in the UK and so not punishable.

I don't practice in Saudi I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand that. But could a uk government put me on trial for endangering a uk citizens life abroad?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

Well, it depends on local laws.

I suppose they could argue it is incitement.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Inciting what?saudi authorities?
and what local laws, local to me?im in England.
What I need to know is, would I be tried for this, is it punishable by UK law and could I get a criminal record for this. Sorry I know I keep going on but it's important I know exactly what the law is.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

It is not an offence in the UK and so not punishable.

I don't practice in Saudi I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
your answer is that even if I reported her to Saudi authorities, the uk authorities couldn't do anything to me?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

The UK authorities would have no interest in this matter for the reasons explained.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see. I don't understand than why is she saying that the British authorities at the Saudi embassy are trying to find me to try me for endangerment using my IP address. (for putting posts on Facebook which didn't say what she did, but apparently put her in danger anyway). Do you think this is possible?
If she did get arrested in Saudi they'd have to step in so she doesn't get killed. It wasn't my intention to put her in danger but I really cannot afford to get in trouble so have to be 100% sure this is not possible and she's lying. Thank you Jo.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

No problem.

All the best.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry To bother you Jo. I've read through your answers again and I'm still a bit confused because you mentioned incitement.
I need to know for sure. If I report a person from the uk to Saudi authorities, and that person gets in trouble, is there any legal way I could get in trouble with the authorities. Are there any laws on endangerment/incitement that relate to this. Obviously the uk embassy in Saudi would have to get involved if she got in trouble. Would that then mean they can arrest me. Does that make sense?
I really need a direct and precise answer on this. Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

Well, as I've said really, you asked if this was an offence in the UK. I can say that it is not.

I cannot comment on the situation in Saudi as I don't practice there.

I wouldn't suggest doing this though. The inevitable consequence is that she will take revenge.

But you are not likely to be arrested.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don't worry I will absolutely not do something like that. She would be killed and she has children. I needed to know if her indirect threats are based on anything.