How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33697
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a question. I live in rented accommodation with a now

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question. I live in rented accommodation with a now ex partner who uis being very threatening towards me and the landlord just says its something we need to sort out ourselves about handing over sole tenancy to each other. Is there nothing more that can be done in this situation please?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

You want him to stop threatening you? Is that right? Do you want the Landlord to sort that out?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years.

I am afraid that it is not the responsibility of the Landlord to deal with this problem

You have three options

1. Reach an agreement with your ex as to which of you will remain

You will then both have to approach the landlord to ask for that person to be released from the Tenancy

2. Apply to the Court for an Occupation Order excluding your ex from the property as a result of Domestic violence

3. Apply to the court for a Transfer of the tenancy.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please could you give me more information about option 3? Option 1 is proving difficult and I am aware about option 2 - I'm just I little wary of the proceedure though realise this may be the only one that is suitable. Thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

You will first have to attempt to resolve the matter using Family mediation


If that fails then you can apply to the court using the form here

essentially the ocurt will then decide which of you should remain in the property and which of you should move out

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I have already tried mediation and been told this is unsuitable and I am not married so it seems no 2 is my only alternative?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

You will need to attend a MIAM - but the Transfer of tenancy form applies to Cohabitees as well as spouses

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks very much for your prompt answer - I have already attended a mediation service personally and been told it's not suitable for myself and my ex partner and that she would provide me with a C100. With this in mind would you recommend I go ahead with the form? Many thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Wait - are there chidlren involved?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, no children, we have just been co-habiting since Jan 2015
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

So why would you need a C100 ( it relates to chidlren matters)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not sure - the way I understood it was the form confirmed that I have attended mediation but my ex partner hasn't. I know she was aware I don't have children. Is there anything else I can / should be doing here please?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

When did you go to mediation?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just under 2 weeks ago, been trying to work my options since
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

In that case you can indeed go ahead with the application

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 3 months ago.

You are most welcome

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice