12826847

My company and several others were defrauded out of a total

Customer Question

My company and several others were defrauded out of a total of approx £1,400 by an individual. The police obtained a confession via telephone but are refusing to arrest the individual as he has promised to pay us all back. Can I force an arrest and insist on pressing charges ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

have the police given a time for the money to be payed back by?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They gave him til monday 24th October to pay us, the individual came to our office on Monday with no money but asked for 2 more weeks in order to pay. Now the police are telling us to wait for him to pay us. He confessed his crime. Why can't I have him arrested. It's not just financial we will lose business and reputation as a result of this.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Well, we don't have arrest or prosecution on demand in the UK. We never have. There are lots of reasons for it. It is a principle that protects us all.

I haven't heard their account for this obviously. On the face of it, it does sound as though an offence has been committed and they should not be refusing to investigate. Probably the truth is that they don't have the resources because they are too busy investigating reports of relationship squabbles that we euphemistically call domestic abuse or complaints of a low level sexual assault one hundred years ago which are apparently more important than proper crime.