13262538

If my husband dies or we get divorced/seperated am i

Customer Question

if my husband dies or we get divorced/seperated am i entitled to his private pension he says his financial adviser wants to see my passport and marriage certificate? i do not know why, I am 73 years old and quite ignorant when it comes to my rights
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Is the Financial advisor completing forms regarding the pension in general

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Then it is likely that he wishes to establish proof of identity and proof of your relationship for the Pension Company to allow him to deal with any spouse pension that you would be entitled to in the event you are widowed

I hope that these are of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could the documents be required for any other reason? Also am I legaiiy entitled to the pension? Could he state in writing that it goes to someone else
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

NO it is not likely that they were needed for anything else, yes if there is a widows pension it would go to you, it is possible that if it is in fact simply a partners pension he could nominate someone else - but the Trustees of the Pension Fund may be able to overrule that