12826847

I have purchased a second hand car from an elderly lady. I

Customer Question

I have purchased a second hand car from an elderly lady. I gave her a cheque for £1,400 and the funds have left my bank account. On Sunday I helped Miss Ward fill in the V5C document and posted it for her. She gave me the green part 10 of the V5C (New Keepers Details) and the current MOT. When I asked Miss Ward for the key to the car she said I could not have it until I showed her the new V5C document in my name! I called the DVLA who said this was a first for them and they didn't have any answer for me. They said the new V5C in my name would be dated from the date of sale (22nd October) but that it could take up to 4 weeks for me to receive the document. Miss Ward is determined not to part with the car until I produce the new V5C as she believes she is still the registered keeper. I don't know what to do - I've known Miss Ward for 14 years - she is my neighbour - but she's now so elderly and frail I don't want to do anything to upset her but I want the car which I believe is legally mine now. Please help
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Is your neighbour willing to come to an agreement of any kind in relation to this?