12826847

My 6 month old shih tzu named Levi was killed while staying

Customer Question

My 6 month old shih tzu named Levi was killed while staying in a dog boarding kennal in the uk due to the negligence of the kennals owners who during a phone call the day that my dog was killed by a bull mastif admitted she went out to purchase clips to secure the kennal doors. They also stated to me that my dog would not be placed next to any other dogs bigger then him and that he will also be supervised at all times however this was not the case thus leading to a adult bull mastif gaining access to my dog and killing him. The kennals insurance only want to cover the expense I paid for Levi and a few vet bills , along with £1,000 as payment for compensation . I believe the kennals should pay a higher payment . What should in be doing as no Solictors in london have a clue what action to take ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

What did you pay for him?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I paid £1900 for him
The kennel is covered by insurance via pet plan however the insurance company refuse to pay anything more then the value of Levi , - few selected vet bills and his cremation they also added compensation of a total of £1,000. Bring there total insurance payout £3,127.if I remember correctly . I personally think this is to much of a low offer , and if I agree to the amount then I will have to sign paper work with pet plan that will remove all responsibility of the incedent with the dog boarding kennal .
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

I understand this is a distressing incident but you have to be realistic about the claim that you have. You only have a claim for the legal monetary value of the dogs.

Realistically, despite the fact that you paid £1900 a six month old dog is not worth the price you paid for him at eight weeks.

Your only claim is for the monetary value of the dog rather than the sum he was worth to you plus any actual out of pocket expenses actually incurred.

It might well be that £1k is inadequate but you have to be realistic about the sum you can claim.