How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34234
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter and I are tenants-in-common of my home following

Customer Question

My daughter and I are tenants-in-common of my home following my husband's death. There is no mortgage. I live alone in the property and my daughter currently rents a flat with her partner. They wish to buy a flat and can secure a joint mortgage. Will she need to terminate her part of the family home? My daughter is an only child and will be sole beneficiary in the event of my death
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Is there a mortgage on the property?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No there is no mortgage
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The property is registered with the Land Registry in both names
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Then she will have no problem obtaining a mortgage and an retain her interest in the family home.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should she tell the mortgage company about her interest in the family home?
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

That is up to her