13262538

I am getting married on this coming Monday and I am being

Customer Question

I am getting married on this coming Monday and I am being told that I should have drawn up a prenup agreement to protect my home and assets. I realise that this is now too late to put anything in place before Monday. I currently own my own home, it is not shared. When I marry, does this mean my spouse is automatically entitled to half my home? If it does, is there an agreement that can be put in place after I have signed the Register? My spouse has 3 children by a previous marriage. I am now worrying about them inheriting what is mine if something happens to my spouse?
If you could please advise it would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Clair Smith
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Once you are married your husband will have Matrimonial Home rights - the right to live in the property so long as you are married.

The longer your relationship lasts the more likely it is that he will acquire a financial interest in the property - although it will be many years before it is a half share or anything close

If you wish to ensure that he does not acquire an interest then you can both sign a POST nuptial agreement setting your agreement out.

Please ask if you need further details